DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a brand new 2014 ram 1500 express. The 5.7 hemi of course. I'm looking to order a cool air intake but I have no idea what to look for. I know cost can represent quality but I'm looking for the cheapest option that still makes a difference. Also will it void any warranties if I install it? Could I take it out and re install the stock one before taking it to the dealership to avoid voiding warranty? Thanks

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Look under the hood. You already have one, save your money.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a K&N on my 2012 Express with the hemi, all it did was make the engine louder. Do what was said above, save your money on the cold air intake and just buy a nice filter instead of the paper one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks that helps, and if you don't mind giving a little more input what do you think about performance chips, tuners, or getting it tuned?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anyone have input on the drop in style filters?

At the local auto supply store I compared the k&n ($60) and the spectre ($30) drop in's side by side and the spectre looked to be better quality surprisingly and half the price...

Any benefits?better mpg? sound? I just can't see myself dropping 3-400 on a CAI right now..

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I just run the stock paper filter. You're not going to make any change in mpg changing the filter.

·
Registered
163 Posts
there is always the debate about oiled filters like K&N versus paper filters. Vehicles with MAF sensors are known to have issues when using a K&N because the little bit of oil in the filters will screw up the MAF sensor. Our rams use a MAP sensor, which will not be affected by the oil in the filter. As far as people saying that oil will mess up your engine, I have had them on many cars and had no problems. It's no more oil than your car normally gets from the PCV system.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Personally, I always install full cold air intake kits on my vehicles.... They absolutely make a difference in performance or else they wouldn't be so popular. The performance gains are minimal and the question should be whether its worth dropping 3-400 on a kit for a minimal gain. It all depends on what your definition of "disposable income" is. I just installed the AFE GT momentum in my truck the other day and love it!

They do make drop in performance DRY type filters as well, they are not all oil style.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Personally, I always install full cold air intake kits on my vehicles.... They absolutely make a difference in performance or else they wouldn't be so popular. The performance gains are minimal and the question should be whether its worth dropping 3-400 on a kit for a minimal gain. It all depends on what your definition of "disposable income" is. I just installed the AFE GT momentum in my truck the other day and love it!

They do make drop in performance DRY type filters as well, they are not all oil style.
It might do what you say, if it was replacing a different air box other than the one that we have. Our box delivers more air than the hemi can handle. They are popular because of what I like to call the koolaid effect.:LOL: They will sound like you're going faster. It's like flipping the lid on a old Qjet.:LOL: OP it will sound cool but don't drink the koolaide about performance.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
So, if they are so popular why are they not OEM :4-dontknow:

same reason why performance exhausts aren't oem, or tuners, or longer tube headers, etc... most customers don't mod their trucks out like us knuckleheads. Most customers want their vehicle to be as quiet as possible and that's what the oem equipment is designed to do.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It might do what you say, if it was replacing a different air box other than the one that we have. Our box delivers more air than the hemi can handle. They are popular because of what I like to call the koolaid effect.:LOL: They will sound like you're going faster. It's like flipping the lid on a old Qjet.:LOL: OP it will sound cool but don't drink the koolaide about performance.
huh?? You do replace the air box when installing a cold air intake system... I'm sure the oem air box provides sufficient air for the hemi or else Chrysler wouldn't design them that way. To gain the full effect of a cai, a free flowing exhaust and tuner will certainly help. I don't buy into the claims the manufactures say these cai boost hp/torque, but I think they give a miniscule boost.

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
I did my exhaust for sound (and those 4.5" chamfered tips!); if there was any benefit to performance then I didn't notice it. Then again I wasn't going to dyno my truck before and after to see if I got 3 more HP.

CAI will make your engine sound louder but its not going to get you much benefit if any. If there were an intake that provided a significant amount more power, mileage, etc... that CAI manufacturers claim then they would be OEM. Think about it, those are 2 huge marketing points for truck manufacturers; not long ago Chevy advertised that they had the most fuel efficient V8 because it was EPA rated 1 MPG higher than the Hemi. One of Toyota's selling points is that the Tundra has over 400 lb-ft-but look at the specs and it makes 401 lb-ft; the minimum amount of torque it could have and still allow them to make that claim. Especially with the impending CAFE standards, manufacturers would absolutely redesign their intakes at a cost of a few more dollars to manufacture if they could eke out 1-2 more MPG.

I am not saying that no vehicle can benefit from a CAI, my buddy showed me the air box on his Titan, and it has a restrictive bottleneck inside the box under the air filter. But the stock box on the 4th gen Ram 1500s draws air from the fenderwell i.e. cold air behind the headlight, and is about as non restrictive as it could be.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Oh I apologize. I didn't know citing your sources was a new concept for you.
When I grow up I want to know as much as you. Like how to install the tow hooks with the new bezel, without having to hassle with taking everything apart. :LOL:

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I do not see where the factory intake is restrictive. It pulls cold air through a larger paper filter, which is still by far the best for your engine and, a good sized tube right to the TB. Removing the air box and fitting an aftermarket filter will make more noise for sure. Not much evidence to support a power or mpg improvement, lots of advertising rhetoric though...

As far as K&N filters, they are possibly the worst thing you can do to your engine. We just pulled the oversize K&N drop in from my friends Cummins truck. The dirt was caked on that thing, no wonder the truck was smoking. Goes right along with this scientific test. They hold less dirt, pass more dirt and only flow better for the short time before they clog...

http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm

I wouldn't waste money on a CAI.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts