DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014, obviously with the 3.6, that currently has 41,000 on the odometer. This past weekend, the check engine light came on, when I pulled the code, came up as P026AB. A little research leads me to a coolant bypass valve, the 3-way on the passenger side frame rail ahead of the motor. The dealer wanted 3 hours labor at 115 an hour to replace it. It's literally two 13mm bolts and 3 cooling lines. The part is expensive, around 300. I've currently got a call in with Ram, we'll see if they'll be of any help.

Has anybody replaced one yet? Where did you find the part, aside from the dealer? I absolutely refuse from now on to step foot into that dealer again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
similar story here ,

This is my issue code P-26AB
I had the CEL light came on and off and on and off , every time I went to the dealership the light will go off and they claim they can't find a solution unless the light is on upon arrival. , so I checked the code finally stayed on ( not at the dealership )and i received the P-26AB the light stayed on for 2 days and I decided to take it to the dealership. once there, they checked the car and told me to wait inside. After about 2 hours , they came in and gave me the invoice. The invoice stated I needed 2 left 02 senors. This was causing the CEL problem . They were charging 560.00 in total. Claiming the sensors were over 100 each. Yet everywhere online I see them for 70 and under including from Mopar websites with the provided part # given to me from the dealership. After searching this code I see it's the coolant bypass valve. which is what this thread is about.

Any suggestions here, I'm I getting the runaround are they just wanting to milk me from my hard earned money.?

is this coolant bypass valve covered under warranty? I have the powertrain at 100k but my bumper to bumper is done for. I have 43kmi 2014 ram 1500 V6 penastar

any advice appreciated, The CEL has made the truck sluggish , eco mode not lit up , and wasting gas at a fast pace.

may I ask , what direct number you have for RAM? and I'm guessing the coolant valve is not covered under warranty ?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
http://oemdtc.com/15708/5-7l-p26ab-engine-coolant-bypass-valve-stuck-2015-ram-1500-pickup
http://www.examiner.com/article/chrysler-s-ram-division-recalls-trucks-for-coolant-valve-issue
http://www.*************/f53/dtc_p26ab_5_7l_2014_ram_1500_a-76097/

Here is some information I got by googleing "dodge ram coolant bypass valve". Seems like this has been a problem for awhile. The recall is for 2013 rams but could be related. There is also a You Tube Video out there on how to change the valve. From what I was seeing it looks like a ground problem mainly. There was a lot more info after googling so you might want to do that and look at the info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the contact info on this page: http://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/ram/

I was supposed to hear back about my claim in one business day, and I called yesterday, so we'll see what happens.

So the dealer charged me an hour's labor to pull the code and test resistance across the valve. The service manager looked like he wanted to kill me when I asked what new drug he was using that he could charge me for the three minutes they took to take a multimeter to the valve, but I broke my rule of no service at the dealership. Should've had them do the recalls and leave it be.

In the process of doing the recalls, they disconnected the battery to do the airbags, obviously resetting the CEL. Today, I drove it 160 miles, and no light. Waiting to see what RAM says. I wonder if it was as simple as pulling the plug off the valve and reseating it. In my head, Murphy is telling me no way in hell it's that simple.

When I finally do find a solution, I'll be sure to post it up in here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also should add, that the woman I talked to at Ram was awesome. The same woman that picked up the phone was able to actually confirm with me what the code it threw means, and confirmed it's location as shown in the above video. I was shocked. Hats off to her.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ram got back to me last night. They said they'd be willing to pay half of the cost for the dealer to replace the valve. The problem is, another 160 miles or so and still no light. I did however, stop by another dealer that I was driving past, and talked to the parts dept. I can get a new valve for $240.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ram called again checking up on me. I have to give them credit for customer service. Still no light, though.

I started inspecting the harness going to the valve. Either the factory has a really strange way of rigging these trucks, or the dealership's been screwing around without telling me. The picture attached is the harness. I was hoping somebody else could check theirs. There was no e-tape on the corrugated shield where the connector was, as is usual. About an inch from the plug, there are two splices, one in the ground, which is heat shrinked, and another in another pair of wires, which is e-taped. I find it hard to believe it left the factory like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014, obviously with the 3.6, that currently has 41,000 on the odometer. This past weekend, the check engine light came on, when I pulled the code, came up as P026AB. A little research leads me to a coolant bypass valve, the 3-way on the passenger side frame rail ahead of the motor. The dealer wanted 3 hours labor at 115 an hour to replace it. It's literally two 13mm bolts and 3 cooling lines. The part is expensive, around 300. I've currently got a call in with Ram, we'll see if they'll be of any help.

Has anybody replaced one yet? Where did you find the part, aside from the dealer? I absolutely refuse from now on to step foot into that dealer again.
Hi I did today I ordered the part from Amazon.ca the dodge dealer wanted 450$ amazone 42$ I called the dealer and told him about the price difference

·
Registered
2 Posts

I did replaced the by pass cooling valve its a fast replacement 10 min I did order the part from Amazon.ca for 42$

1 - 12 of 12 Posts