DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Coolant Explosion

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  TechNick 
#1 ·
Can the engine bay be sprayed down with water for cleaning? After failing to properly put the radiator hose back on, it consequently blew off on and there is now coolant all over.

#3 ·
Id try to avoid obvious electrical connections and actually "bag" computer modules. Wouldnt use a power washer and be very ginger with the hose nozzle. Not too much pressure so water dosent get forced into connectors and places it shouldnt be. Also when complete, leaf blower off the excess, start the vehicle and drive for an hour or so to completley dissapate any leftovers.

#6 ·
I clean mine all the time and have done so for years on many vehicles. I usually use simple green unless I really need a strong de-greaser. I never cover anything, but don't use a pressure washer and try to avoid blasting anything with the full jet. I just use the spray pattern and rinse the soap away, never had any issues. BTW, used to run a mobile detail business and have always done it this way.

- B

#7 ·
Simple Green is some good stuff. This is my engine compartment cleaner of choice, as well. :smiley_thumbs_up:

I'd still recommend covering alternator/electrical connections for a newbie to engine cleaning, though.

You state that you used to do detailing, so you know exactly what to spray or not spray. Many guys however, do not.

#9 ·
I clean mine every time I wash the truck. Cover the alternator and don't use high pressure, it will be fine. I use the leaf blower or air hose to blow out any excess water when done. All of the connections and electronics under the hood are made to be water tight, so as long as you don't use high pressure and force water into anything, you should have no problems.

#10 ·
I sure appreciate all the advice. Sounds like Simple Green and some low pressure water should do the trick, making sure to cover the alternator. Once clean I'll wipe down the plastic parts with some satin engine dressing, and maybe post a pick here once done. Thanks again.

#14 ·
Once dry dust (dust not drench) the engine compartment with your dressing of choice. I'd go for a satin look, not too shiny, it will look fantastic.

- B[/QUOTE]

B..... What dressing do you use? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.