DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 1500 with the 5.9 magnum and have been experiencing a massive coolant leak (1 gallon every 250/300 miles) there is no visible leaks and I’ve check the oil for coolant and the coolant for oil and haven’t found anything. I believe the coolant is being burnt in the engine due to steam in exhaust when I cold start my truck. I’m really confused on what the issue could be and would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There is a couple ways to go about this. Pressure test the system, you may actually see the leak. Also there is some chemical you can put in the coolant system and it will turn a color to let you know if its a blown head-gasket or cracked head or something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I will pressure test it this weekend to see if I can find the leak and if that doesn’t work then I’ll get the dye.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Advance has some stuff you can put in and run engine and you need a black light and yellow glasses to see leak. Well really you can look with a regualr flashlight and usually see where its leak is. This is stuff for the combustion leaks is like this

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Run the truck for a while and get it up to operating temp. Shut it off then look underneath the water pump. There is a hole in the bottom that will leak when the water pump is going out. It will evaporate before it hits the ground so start there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I replaced the bypass hose and thermostat housing/thermostat, which is where after further looking around the leak was coming from. After doing that and filling up the cooling system, I cranked my truck up and coolant started pouring from the water pump area, like it won’t hold coolant for longer than 30 sec. would my water pump gasket have blown all of a sudden since replacing the parts? I’m clueless as to what it is now. I know that I put everything back together correctly and I double checked the tightness of the clamps on all hoses.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Water pumps can go bad. It should start squealing when the bearing fails completely,,, When you're replacing the pump,,, the timing chain is only a few bolts to replace also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased a Murray gasket at O'Reillys when I replaced my thermostat. Incredibly, it started puking coolant when I started it up. The Murray gasket was in about 1000 pieces of wet pulp. Ordered a Felpro and did it all again.....
To be fair, your waterpump may be a bit tired. It has been sucking air periodically, probably cavitating, and running hot. Wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that once you got her buttoned up and pressurized she shit the bed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts