DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my 2010 Ram 1500, 4.7L started leaking coolant yesterday, but did not overheat, nor did I get any fault code or lights. When I drove to work this morning, about 1.6 miles from home, the temp rose slightly above normal, but didn't get too high. When I arrived at work, I noticed there was no leaking. When I went home for lunch at noon, I topped off with mixture (I work for a heavy duty trucking shop), and as I was driving, temp rose pretty good on the way home, but once I arrived, no leaking. After an hour lunch, drove back to the shop and temp still rose pretty high, but once again, no leaking. Any ideas what my issue might be?

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
8 year old radiator

You could do the normal things

Check the bottom of the water pump for a wet weep hole, it will be directly under the water pump shaft
When the water pump starts leaking water out of that hole, the seal & bearing is about to go bad.

Clean the cooling fins of bugs, etc.

Flush the cooling system with clear water & back flush the heater core using low pressure water hose or limited air pressure
Then drain the system by any way you can

Change the thermostat
Fill the cooling system with the proper antifreeze & check the mixture with
Coolant Test Strips or Antifreeze Coolant Tester

Then burp the air out of the system

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to make sure the radiator is good for another 8 years or so

Take the radiator out & take it to a radiator repair shop, not a 3rd party place like a auto parts store.
The radiator shop will pull the tanks off of the radiator, then they put it into a tank of chemicals, then they run a flat metal rod through each of the tubes inside of the radiator core.
Then they dip it into the tank again, then they put air or water into those tubes to clear them out.
Then they put the tanks back on & spray paint the radiator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s running at about 204-206 degrees. After I turn it off, the temp goes up to about 212 then starts to decrease what temp should it normally run at?

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I believe that the thermostat is 190 - 195 °F

If you should ever have to replace it, i suggest a Fail Safe Thermostat, when they fail it remains in the open position, water is still able to circulate

·
Registered
128 Posts
A fail-safe thermostat does not open if IT fails, only if something else in the engine causes overheating. Practically worthless in my book.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It’s running at about 204-206 degrees. After I turn it off, the temp goes up to about 212 then starts to decrease what temp should it normally run at?
212 is High?! The thermostat is set at 203..

I just flushed mine recently and it goes to 212 then down to 200 quickly about every 30 seconds.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mine runs at 201-206. Only in very cold weather does it run under that. It has jumped to 212, but only while its warming up, then it immediately drops to 201-206. My guess is that is the normal operating temperature, at least for my 2011 Bighorn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I changed the thermostat and flushed the system. No wet weep hole on the water pump. It’s still running hotter than normal. Got up to about 212. When I turned it off, it went up to 215 the. Gradually fell. Any ideas now?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Faulty temperature sensor?? Your temperature is ok, just giving you a false reading.
faulty radiator cap?? Not fully pressurizing the system will make the engine run hotter.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
212 is fine; it will get in the low 220s when towing. I woudn't really be concerned unless it got over 230

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try a pressure test to see if you can reproduce your leak. If you got one, locate it and repair it but if you don't then I'd clean your rad fins out then test your coolant with strips.

I'd also check your serpentine and fan pulley for wear or misalignment

1 - 11 of 11 Posts