DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just became owners of a sweet 2014 Ram Bighorn Quad Cab 4x4. Its a V6 3.7. It had 100,135 miles when we drove it off the lot.

We’ve only had it a week and 3 days and it’s sprung a massive coolant leak. The dealership isn’t willing to help us because we didn’t buy the extended warranty .

Hubby started smelling coolant on about day 3, but when he popped the hood, couldn’t see anything wet. Ground wasn’t wet at the time either. Smell was always there when driving it all week.

On Saturday evening, hubby drove it to a store about 2 miles from our house. Temp gauge maxed out and warning lights came on about engine being too hot.

At the store, he seen a huge puddle and a steady stream under the truck . He put bottled water in it and drove it back home.

Next day (Sunday) we took it to a friends house to better inspect it. Filled the radiator with water and turn it on and left it running . Nothing was happening. Nothing was actively leaking and there’s no smoke coming from the tailpipe. Looking at the engine from the top and sides , we can’t see anything wrong. Nothing looks wet or rotted or loose.

We take it for a 30 minute drive to get it up to temperature and pressure. Pull into the drive way, turn truck off, and look underneath. Within 2 minutes, it was gushing the water we put in it from somewhere in the back of the engine. Our friend was trying to follow the water flow but couldn’t see up that far. From the top, still couldn’t see anything leaking. The engine sits back so far that we can not actually see the back of this engine. Friend says there’s hoses and intake manifold back there and part of the head gasket.

So, where/what could this leak be ? It’s not smoking at all. It doesn’t leak when just sitting idle, it gushes out once driven a little bit and gets up to temp and pressure . Doesn’t seem to be mixed with anything other than the original coolant residue (that looks like it was red?) Oil looks fine. Any other questions, just ask and I’ll answer to the best of my ability. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Don't know where you are from but most dealers offer a 30 day warranty on a used vehicle and the engine is a 3.6 litre not 3.7.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know where you are from but most dealers offer a 30 day warranty on a used vehicle and the engine is a 3.6 litre not 3.7.
Hi. oops yeah 3.6 not 3.7 fat fingers here lol but the place didn’t offer anything other than the extended warranty so since We didn’t buy that, We are SOL. GM even said that this is what I should expect from a vehicle with 100K miles ? we are in Tennessee.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
No, I am pretty sure most state laws allow for a 30 day return policy on a vehicle or something like that. 100,000 miles isn't really a lot and its a shame the GM won't be a good dude about it.

It sounds like it may only be doing it when hot, have you checked all the hoses and stuff? Those and the clamps would be where I look first.

FWIW in 2013 the 3.6 L v6 replaced the SOHC 3.7L V6 that came out in 2002. The 3.6 is a much better engine and makes a stout 305/269 hp/lb ft compared to the 3.7s anemic 215/235. More importantly, your 3.6 uses OAT coolant, not HOAT or ethylene glycol. Do not mix them

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so we took it to a shop for a radiator pressure test and they could not re-create the leak ???

Now we just drove it from the shop to our home which is about a 35 minute drive and I observed it for a good 10 minutes after getting home , and it didn’t leak anything.

So maybe it’s random/intermittent leaking?
Which would be maybe a stuck/sticking thermostat?!?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts