DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new the the forum, looking for some advice on my current issue with my 2015 Ram1500 5.7 Hemi.
So yesterday after driving 30km to work I had a message pop up on my dash saying Engine too hot. This message disappeared and did not return. I did not have any engine lights on or warning lights. I pulled over let the truck cool down for 30mins then headed straight to Napa to pick up OAT Coolant (what is recommended in manual) after adding coolant I then drove straight to the dealership to have it checked out, which it did not overheat for this 30km drive. When they called me to tell me what the situation was they informed me me coolant res was completely empty and my water pump had failed... does this truck not have a low coolant sensor? how can a fine mist spill out of water pump with zero indication with no engine light to warn me that I was low on coolant?? Long story short short dealership looked at the cap for coolant and said it had a ton of sludge build up and I would have to replace the heater core, radiator, all hoses and water pump and flush 3 times Totalling over 9k..But further damage may have occurred to the head gaskets and engine etc due to the over heating. and this 9k fix is a shot In the dark and possible engine damage may have occurred and I could be on the hook for another 10k to drop a new engine in.....
all and all I could be down 19k to drop a new engine in for a catastrophic failure where I had no prior warning or engine light to let me know there even was an issue.. no further codes found on computer when the dealership scanned it, no smell of any leaks, no spillage in driveway....just that one that Warning that popped up prior to me bringing it in...
They did try and say someone added incorrect coolant at some point which would have caused the sludge build up... I’ve never had a single issue with cooling system And this was the first occurrence where any additional coolant has been added since factory.

Any insight you guys may have In regards to my situation or if someone has been through another instance similar to mine I’d love to hear about it... just at a total loss for words here as it’s a 2015 with 80k Miles..

As well I contacted FCA and they pretty well laughed at me and said im out of warranty... I’m on my own.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yeah - I'd definitely try another place. Sounds like they're not even diagnosing it, just replace everything whether it needs it or not, just in case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definetly take it somewhere else. Call a local parts store and ask if they know any honest shops to take it to. Avoid the big name places their no better than the dealer. If your truck drove to the dealer it'll drive to another shop. If your engine had something seriously a wrong with it I think you would have noticed something while driving it to the dealer. If you take it else where just tell them that you think you have a coolant leak somewhere cause you had to put some in it and you'd like it checked out. Unfortunately there are places out there that try to take advantage of people. I always tell my customers to educate themselves on the problem their having and dont be afraid to ask questions and have them show you what's going on. If they start to get ugly about the questions go elsewhere. Ask for the old parts back and dont let them give an excuse they dont have them. Remember we're the paying customer that keeps them in buisness. Good luck .

·
Registered
475 Posts
First I would crawl under it and see if coolant is coming out of the waterpump,If it is then replace it and flush the system.You could most likely get a rad shop to flush for well under $50.In fact I would likely get the flush done with the old pump still on.JMHO.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The pumps typically have a "weep hole" on the bottom shaft area. If the shaft seal goes bad thats where it leaks out. As far as a low coolant warning, maybe/maybe not. I can tell you if it was a slower leak once it is not in contact (coolant) with any sensor it cant read it temp gauge or what have you.
Now situation with repair shop. What are they using? A ouija board? If you run a real system flush, why would you them replace all the coolant system parts? Replace water pump, radiator cap (just because) flush system and refill. Probably a pressure test would be in order. Actually they shop should do that to start with to find leak, and confirm.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The pumps typically have a "weep hole" on the bottom shaft area. If the shaft seal goes bad thats where it leaks out. As far as a low coolant warning, maybe/maybe not. I can tell you if it was a slower leak once it is not in contact (coolant) with any sensor it cant read it temp gauge or what have you.
Now situation with repair shop. What are they using? A ouija board? If you run a real system flush, why would you them replace all the coolant system parts? Replace water pump, radiator cap (just because) flush system and refill. Probably a pressure test would be in order. Actually they shop should do that to start with to find leak, and confirm.
Yeah I shouldn't assume everyone knows about the weep hole.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yeah I shouldn't assume everyone knows about the weep hole.
Well I'll tell ya, I have them go both ways and probably everything in between. I have had them be slow and you couldnt even tell, and have them pee a stream. So there is no solid answer. But usually they leave some evidence they are leaking, if we pay attention. But when I was in the USAF we lived in the country and parked in grass, so hard to see that.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well I'll tell ya, I have them go both ways and probably everything in between. I have had them be slow and you couldnt even tell, and have them pee a stream. So there is no solid answer. But usually they leave some evidence they are leaking, if we pay attention. But when I was in the USAF we lived in the country and parked in grass, so hard to see that.
Even a small leak usually leaves a trail below the hole.May not be wet when you look but you know by the trail/stain that it's leaking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts