DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 1500 5.7l; I had major cooling issues last year almost to the day with over heating. The issue was very straight forward in symptoms and I was covered under a purchased warranty from the dealer not even a year before. When it over heated I was on the highway comming into town, it did reach 258°F and was blowing coolant. I was confused as to why it happened considering it was around 40°F out and raining. Head gasket, Radiator and all where replaced. It ran better than ever and had no issues during the hot summer and towing a few trailers.
Here we are a year later
We have about 8" of snow and it's about 27°f out
I started the truck and let it sit while I cleaned it off and cleared the bed. This took about 20-30 minutes. When I got in the gauge was already at 3/4. I drove it about 3 miles and the light came on and temp was reading 251°F. I left it sit for about an hour and drove home. No issues!?. Drove to work this morning and it started about 30 minutes in and kept bouncing between 206° and 240° but never over heated fully. Today during lunch I swapped the thermostat, radiator cap and topped it off. Not fully overheating but bouncing between 206° and 222°. Its about 32° out and snowing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2012 1500 5.7l; I had major cooling issues last year almost to the day with over heating. The issue was very straight forward in symptoms and I was covered under a purchased warranty from the dealer not even a year before. When it over heated I was on the highway comming into town, it did reach 258°F and was blowing coolant. I was confused as to why it happened considering it was around 40°F out and raining. Head gasket, Radiator and all where replaced. It ran better than ever and had no issues during the hot summer and towing a few trailers.
Here we are a year later
We have about 8" of snow and it's about 27°f out
I started the truck and let it sit while I cleaned it off and cleared the bed. This took about 20-30 minutes. When I got in the gauge was already at 3/4. I drove it about 3 miles and the light came on and temp was reading 251°F. I left it sit for about an hour and drove home. No issues!?. Drove to work this morning and it started about 30 minutes in and kept bouncing between 206° and 240° but never over heated fully. Today during lunch I swapped the thermostat, radiator cap and topped it off. Not fully overheating but bouncing between 206° and 222°. Its about 32° out and snowing.
My 2018 1500 3.6 is doing the same thing. Going up to 245 then down then back up on the highway. I have the heat running and when I am stopped at a light its blowing cold air. Did the thermostat take care of the issue for the most part?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Could be a radiator hose is collapsing. They sometimes contained a metal spring ,to prevent this, most likely the lower hose. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts