DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 1500 5.7l; I had major cooling issues last year almost to the day with over heating. The issue was very straight forward in symptoms and I was covered under a purchased warranty from the dealer not even a year before. When it over heated I was on the highway comming into town, it did reach 258°F and was blowing coolant. I was confused as to why it happened considering it was around 40°F out and raining. Head gasket, Radiator and all where replaced. It ran better than ever and had no issues during the hot summer and towing a few trailers.
Here we are a year later
We have about 8" of snow and it's about 27°f out
I started the truck and let it sit while I cleaned it off and cleared the bed. This took about 20-30 minutes. When I got in the gauge was already at 3/4. I drove it about 3 miles and the light came on and temp was reading 251°F. I left it sit for about an hour and drove home. No issues!?. Drove to work this morning and it started about 30 minutes in and kept bouncing between 206° and 240° but never over heated fully. Today during lunch I swapped the thermostat, radiator cap and topped it off. Not fully overheating but bouncing between 206° and 222°. Its about 32° out and snowing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2012 1500 5.7l; I had major cooling issues last year almost to the day with over heating. The issue was very straight forward in symptoms and I was covered under a purchased warranty from the dealer not even a year before. When it over heated I was on the highway comming into town, it did reach 258°F and was blowing coolant. I was confused as to why it happened considering it was around 40°F out and raining. Head gasket, Radiator and all where replaced. It ran better than ever and had no issues during the hot summer and towing a few trailers.
Here we are a year later
We have about 8" of snow and it's about 27°f out
I started the truck and let it sit while I cleaned it off and cleared the bed. This took about 20-30 minutes. When I got in the gauge was already at 3/4. I drove it about 3 miles and the light came on and temp was reading 251°F. I left it sit for about an hour and drove home. No issues!?. Drove to work this morning and it started about 30 minutes in and kept bouncing between 206° and 240° but never over heated fully. Today during lunch I swapped the thermostat, radiator cap and topped it off. Not fully overheating but bouncing between 206° and 222°. Its about 32° out and snowing.
My 2018 1500 3.6 is doing the same thing. Going up to 245 then down then back up on the highway. I have the heat running and when I am stopped at a light its blowing cold air. Did the thermostat take care of the issue for the most part?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Could be a radiator hose is collapsing. They sometimes contained a metal spring ,to prevent this, most likely the lower hose. Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like a clutch fan to me. Has all the symptoms. Vehicle heats up at idle when no air is being pulled across rad. Once you guys start driving around the air naturally flows across the rad at whatever speed you are driving. You will see it esp when towing at slower speeds. Heavy loads on vehicle at slower speeds with less air flow and clutch fan will sense the hot air coming off the rad and will engage a percentage of engine rotation speeds. The hotter it gets the closer the clutch fan will engage up to a 1 to 1 ratio. If the clutch fan is bad, it will not engage and pull air across the rad until u get out on the highway at highway speeds and it will cool down. When your trucks get hot, take a roll of paper towels and stick in into the fan blades, if the fan stops, you need a new clutch fan. If it doesn't stop and beats you roll of paper towels to death, look elsewhere. Make sure your a/c fan comes on when it reaches these high temps. May have a problem there also. A/c fan is set at a predetermined temp in the ecm and should come on at a certain temp which is also determined at what speed you are traveling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.