DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 third gen. with a cooling issue. I replaced the radiator for the third time on this truck and since this last time the temp starts going up after i drive it for a bit when at an idle. I since then have replaced the water pump, thermostat, cap, fan clutch, and now the radiator again! Still same issue. There is alot of pressure in the system. It does leak past the cap out the lil hose so I figured I would run for a bit with the cap loose to let it bleed itself. Well when i got home the darn thing pushed a gallon of the coolant out! I dont know what else to do! I'm thinking of a coolant test to see if i have a bad head gasket but its not blowing water just oil.(185,000 beaten miles)Can anyone help???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought! I just didnt wanna believe it. No milky oil or water out the tail pipes. Damn this truck! Cant complain to much.. This thing has more than paid for itself. Thx. I'll repost after holidays when complete.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Good luck bro. My first guess is blowed HG as well. You have combustion gas pressuring up your cooling system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have to agree with everyone else on this. If head gasket is blown into the cylinder you burn the water/anti-freeze mixture and get the white smoke. It sounds like yours is blown in one of the cooling jackets in the head that circulates the water/anti-freeze therefore pressurizing the cooling system. You should also have gurgeling in your coolant cannister if this is the case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well test shows blown head gasket or bad head or all of above. Black liquid turned green!!! This damn truck is expensive!! I hope its worth it!!! Will post back when done. Thx ram peps!!!!:smileup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK .. Getting ready to put the heads back on but I cant remember which way the new head gaskets go. The bevel (high side on the gasket) up or down????

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ah crap. I just started getting the sweet smell anti freeze makes when burned in the combustion process. The radiator will pressurize after 2 minutes of running. And to top it all off, I'm starting to use some coolant and getting an intermittant miss when first starting the vehicle.

My qustion to those who have repalced the cylinder heads, who much for the parts and how much for labor. Also a good time to replace the timing chains and tensioners with 170k on the clock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as the money goes for parts...... I'm at a grand so far!! thats just the heads gasket kit, head bolts, timing kit, timing gasket, lifters, and plugs. As far as labor.... I'm doing it myself!!!! Good luck and get ready to dump some money!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the info, not what I want to hear but I asked :SHOCKED:.

Did you send the heads out to the machine shop or was there no warpage or damage to the heads. Since mine is just starting, hoping a good surface cleaning will do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked mine with a straight edge and flashlight. And i never over heated just pressurized the cooling system. I'm gonna take the chance without spending another $250 at napa.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So back to my question.. Which way do the head gaskets go again? High side bevel up or down? I dont remember.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dead dodge!!!!!!

Well I got done doing the upper end of the motor and well........ come to find out it wasnt the head gasket at all. Come to find out the block has a crack in it of the drivers side main water port to the number one cylinder. Although i did get the smoking to stop and a much better throttle response with the new timing set, that doesnt make up for the poor manufacturing of the block! My block has never overheated once in ten years! Even after the radiator blew apart 6 years ago. I can now say i owned a dodge. It is sitting in front yard with a for sale sign on it. Im done dumping money into it. Thank you for help and support.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well for those who might be interested in the truck (bigdaddyII) my email address is [email protected]. In the subject line put DEAD DODGE or it will get deleted. I live in florida, tampa bay area.Its a black quad cab short bed riding on 20's with less than 15,000 miles on the tires. Odometer say 185,390. After market headlights and tail lights. Rear end rebuilt, tranny serviced every 30,000 miles. Lots of new parts all over, inside and out. Asking $2,000 for it. I can part it out for more and we all know that. THX!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I got done doing the upper end of the motor and well........ come to find out it wasnt the head gasket at all. Come to find out the block has a crack in it of the drivers side main water port to the number one cylinder. Although i did get the smoking to stop and a much better throttle response with the new timing set, that doesnt make up for the poor manufacturing of the block! My block has never overheated once in ten years! Even after the radiator blew apart 6 years ago. I can now say i owned a dodge. It is sitting in front yard with a for sale sign on it. Im done dumping money into it. Thank you for help and support.
Sorry to hear about your Ram. Mine is also a 2002, 2WD, Black SLT QC, with 4.7L. I have 102,000 and so far the clutch pack clips and the ticking noise at the top of the engine when cold are the only issues I have.

At 102,000 now and I am hoping to get about another 80,000+ out of it. That may be optimistic but I've seen a few.

My question is this: If I do have the problem that you had, and everyone thought it was a blown gasket (or perhaps even a head), how could I determine if it is the block itself before I sink time/money into removing the heads, resurfacing, buy gaskets etc. etc. Is there some way to find out first if its the block?

Sorry again to hear about your Ram.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts