DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..
had a question for some people who might be running these tires..
it may seem funny cuz i dont even have the truck yet.. waiting on it to be built... but i want to shod it with some nice rims and rubber..
was looking at a set of 20X9 Fuel Hostages
and i wanted to run a set of LT305/55R20 tires on them
can i run these without any suspension modifications... i would really like to leave the ram at stock ride height

any info would be great... thanks

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
You will be happy with either the Coopers or the Nittos. They obviously look a lot alike but I personally think the Coopers have a slightly more aggressive tread. The lugs seem bigger, kinda like a mud tire but not quite, and they seem to be more blocky and squared off. I have been running the Coopers for about 5K miles now and have zero complaints.

As for that size tire...I'm not certain whether that width will run or not but it will be close either way. As long as your new rims have at least 6mm or so LESS offset than the stockers I would think it would be fine. What offset you planning on going with?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
will probably need a level kit, would be really tight on my truck and the 4th gens sit even lower than mine did...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys thanks for the replies...
i really like the 20X9 Fuel Hostage wheels, and i think if i remember correctly you can get them with a -12 offset...
i really dont want to get into any rubbing problems, as much i like the Tread of the Coopers i may go to a LT285/55R20 Terra Grappler..
i am mostly going for a stance look with the new truck..
i like the stock rake that the new Rams have i want to find the right wheel and tire combo to give it that stance

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I don't think you will need to level the front to fit 305/55/20. That tire is only slightly (0.20") taller than the stock 20" tire so height isn't the issue...the issue is width. I'm almost certain you could run 305/55 with a negative offset rim with no issues at all. If you really want that tire size I encourage you to research it because I think you can run it. I'd put $$$ on it.

It's all in what look you want of course but I personally would not go with the 285/55/20 because it's over 0.5" shorter than the stock 20" tire.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Buddy of mine at work just put a set of 305/55/20 terra graps and a set of dale jr wheels 20/9 20mm offset. 2011 and no rubbing anywhere!

I may do some 275/65/20s for alittle more side wall on my 08.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My friend has terra grapplers and loves them, have you looked into the trails?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Both tires are good and I looked at both. I chose the coopers because they are made in the USA. Otherwise they basically seemed "equal" to me. I love them, I have over 15k miles on them and honestly show no wear, and I do a few burnouts now and again. I do keep them rotated on time though, and run about 50psi in them. That helps wear, and I corner pretty easy and brake easy. The biggest surprise to me was that they have almost no road noise (at least in my mind). If the windows are up you can't hear them, even at 80 mph.

EDIT: I just thought about my last statement about the noise....I have terrible hearing, so probably shouldn't comment on the noise as even if they were loud I most likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I will say though that my wife has never commented that they were loud.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I can hear mine just a little but no more than the Michelins on my wife's 2008 Taurus.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have 305,55r20 Nitto Trail Graps and they rub with a full turn to the left only and it is just an 1/8th turn from full lock so minor at that. The tires now vs stock are a full 3" wider. I have no complaints about the tires, little howl on the road but that is to be expected with the tread pattern.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Both tires are good and I looked at both. I chose the coopers because they are made in the USA. Otherwise they basically seemed "equal" to me. I love them, I have over 15k miles on them and honestly show no wear, and I do a few burnouts now and again. I do keep them rotated on time though, and run about 50psi in them. That helps wear, and I corner pretty easy and brake easy. The biggest surprise to me was that they have almost no road noise (at least in my mind). If the windows are up you can't hear them, even at 80 mph.

EDIT: I just thought about my last statement about the noise....I have terrible hearing, so probably shouldn't comment on the noise as even if they were loud I most likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I will say though that my wife has never commented that they were loud.
What size Coopers are you running? At 50 PSI you're not geting excessive center wear? I am thinking Coopers will be my next tire when the Goodless wear out. I has Mich. AT 2's on my 08 and there were quit. I have a 36 mile interstate commute every day so sound is somewhat of an issue

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I have 265 70 17 on a 9.5" wide wheel. No uneven wear at all (honestly I can't tell ANY wear in the 15k miles I've had them). I run just under 50psi in the fronts and closer to 45psi in the rear for a little traction. I used a piece of chalk across the tire to make sure the whole tire was contacting the pavement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey guys thanks for all the replies
I think i am gonna go with a set of 305/55R20 Coopers on some 20X9 Fuel Hostages with a -12 offset
all my life i have liked trucks where the tires stick out a bit on the fenders, especially the stance that the new ram has i think it will look really good
thanks alot guys
if anyone has pics they can post up with the 305 coopers it would be much appreciated

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
all my life i have liked trucks where the tires stick out a bit on the fenders, especially the stance that the new ram has i think it will look really good
I 100% agree with this, I also like the look in general, but it really fits the ram well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts