DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 1500 sport. I finished installing a 2" leveling kit, got new goodyear wrangler duratrac 275/65/R20 mounted and had an allignment done. Im not sure whats going on but the truck rides completely differently. The shop put 65 psi in each tire (80 max) and on the highway when i hit a bump it feels like im going to loose control of the truck. If I hit a bump at highway speed while in a turn it feels like the steering wheel has no resistance for a split second, and the truck is going to slide out from under me...which is a downright scary feeling. Is this too much psi? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dont set your tires to what the vehicle placard on the door says. Now that you took off 4ply rated passenger tires max psi 44 and replaced them with LT 10 ply rated tires max psi 80, that sticker now is useless for tire info! Your symptoms are exactly what happens when you put a 10 ply rated tire on a truck that is designed for a 4ply rated tire. Now, whats done is done. Do this, start at 50 psi and work your way down slowly in psi until your ride begins to improve. I would not go below 40psi however. Running max psi 80 tires too low will, 1.increase heat 2. increase wear 3. give sloppy handling 4. potential cracking in bead area from under inflation, just to name a few. Too much air and the truck is all over the road. The tires on your truck now are designed for 3/4 - 1 ton vehicles that normally run 60-80 psi in there tires. There ride is smoother because the suspension and chasis are designed for the heavier load range tires. Remember, those black round things are the only thing between you and the road.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Dont set your tires to what the vehicle placard on the door says. Now that you took off 4ply rated passenger tires max psi 44 and replaced them with LT 10 ply rated tires max psi 80, that sticker now is useless for tire info! Your symptoms are exactly what happens when you put a 10 ply rated tire on a truck that is designed for a 4ply rated tire. Now, whats done is done. Do this, start at 50 psi and work your way down slowly in psi until your ride begins to improve. I would not go below 40psi however. Running max psi 80 tires too low will, 1.increase heat 2. increase wear 3. give sloppy handling 4. potential cracking in bead area from under inflation, just to name a few. Too much air and the truck is all over the road. The tires on your truck now are designed for 3/4 - 1 ton vehicles that normally run 60-80 psi in there tires. There ride is smoother because the suspension and chasis are designed for the heavier load range tires. Remember, those black round things are the only thing between you and the road.
I agree with this. I wasnt aware that those tires are 10 ply. 65PSI is about right then. I am surprised that the tech at the tire shop didn't metion anything before selling the tires, or installing them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you all for the info. im now at 47psi cold and it gets to about 50psi after driving on the highway for a bit. The ride is much better (almost back to a stock feel). The road noise is only slightly increased with these tires and the offroad traction is almost making my 4 wheel drive not necessary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.