DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, i've been reading this forum for a while and decided to join today. i bought a 2012 reg cab 1500 4x2 express in jan. i love the truck except for the 3.55 rear end. i've had two qc 1500's before with the 3.92 rear end. this time is was more concerned about getting the lsd then the 3.92, now...... well, i wish i had the 3.92.

i got a quote of $900 from the dealership and $1000 from a local place to install 4.10 gears.
Has anybody had 4.10's installed and how do you like them? Are these quotes high or about right?

thanks for any info :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would like to think that price a little high and i have a 4 Wheel Drive and don't think it should not be that much more for mine to be done.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
If you have LSD and just want a gear ratio change, it shouldn't be $1,000. Probably more like $500. It is around $1,000 for a 2wd ratio change plus aftermarket LSD. It is around $2,000 for a 4wd ratio change plus aftermarket LSD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I first talked to my local guy, he said it should be around $500-600, but he had to call his supplier. The next day he said that the carrier?? had to be changed also and parts would be $700, labor $300.
The dealership said about $500 for parts and $400 for labor, but they needed my vin# to make sure. I'll go in for my 1st oil change in a couple weeks and i'll find out for sure. I would pay $600 but not $1000.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I heard the same thing as well that the gear is welded to the carrier to save on cost? Is this true, or can you just buy the gearset and install?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Last year i had a 2011 slt w/4.7 and 3.55 i lived near Randys ring and pinion and wanted a 4.10 and a lsd the cost was going to be 1200 but as they took it apart they showed me that the diff and bolt pattern had been redesigned and no aftermerket gears or diffs were available to install in the newer carriers so they bolted it back up and didnt charge me anything as it was the first time they had seen it redesigned, a few months later the dealership finally had a part number and it was a package deal for the lsd and 4.10, the cost i think for the parts wouldve been about 900.00 but i traded the truck for an Express

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I also don't know how the new ZF ring gear is attached to the carrier

the older ring gear just bolted to the carrier
you would take out the carrier with the ring gear attached, change the ring gear for the new ratio ring gear. While those parts were out, you install the matching Pinion gear & reassembled everything to specs

maybe with the new rear ends, it would be easier to just buy a new carrier with the correct ring gear attached, then buy the matching pinion gear. Swap everything out & sell the original parts

the 4.10 differential ratio came standard in the R/T

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The local shop told me that their supplier said that you have to put in a another carrier with the 4.10 gears and that really bumped the price up. The dealership didn't say anything about that and was $200 less on parts so, idk. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
348 Posts
this tread has me a little worried, i got the dealership to agree on giving me a set of 4.10s for my new express with 3.55s since they couldnt find the exact truck i wanted..now these will be mopar gears and i know the r/t has 4.10s so will i have to buy a different carrier? i hope not :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If they agreed to do it for part of the deal, then they should have to eat the extra cost, if they didn't factor the carrier in.It's not your fault, if they don't know how to look up the right parts. I would like to know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im just trying to remember what the guys at Randys told me which was the newer rearend in the 1500s were also on the new jeeps, the difference between the new vs the older 9.25s is the differential will not exchange and the bolt pattern for the ring gear is different. i seen it and it made no sense why they would move the bolt pattern on the ring gear

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
The vendor that supplies the rear differential was changed
it used to be AAM ( American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. )
now it is ZF ( 'ZahnradFabrik GmbH' – hence the abbreviation ZF )

remember, when you change the Ring gear ratio, you also have to change the Pinion gear ratio
It doesn't matter which rear differential brand you have

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i don't see my mpg going down. i drive mostly backroads to work and keep the trans in 4th, otherwise it bogs down bad. The dealership dealer traded for my truck and its very hard to find a reg cab truck with the lsd much less the 3.92, at least around here. i can run 80 on the interstate at around 2000 rpm and i don't need that. Yes, the 3.92 would work but if i'm going to change it, then i'm going with the 4.10.

When I got my truck I didn't care if I got 3.92 or 3.55 gears, I wouldn't buy one without the lsd. Now, after a couple months, I can live with the gears in it but I don't like them.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not sure if you realized or not ... get ready for a drop in gas mileage. Why not 3.92s ?
not sure if this was towards me but personally the milage isnt a big issue because i live about 2 miles from one of my jobs and a mile from the other so i do 90% in town driving..oh and working 7 days a week doesnt allow time to get out and waste too much gas :smiledown:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Im just trying to remember what the guys at Randys told me which was the newer rearend in the 1500s were also on the new jeeps, the difference between the new vs the older 9.25s is the differential will not exchange and the bolt pattern for the ring gear is different. i seen it and it made no sense why they would move the bolt pattern on the ring gear
With GM rear diffs, carriers would only take 2 or 3 different ratio ring and pinion sets in chronological order. If you went up or down in gear numbers, you needed a different carrier. I'd bet that this is the same issue with the new Mopar rear diff. If I recall in my last GM setup, I could use the same carrier for a 3:42 and 3:73. If I went to a 3:07, that required a different carrier. If I went to a 4:11, that took even another carrier. So apparently within the GM line there were at least 3 or 4 different carriers to accept these different ratio ring and pinions. Probablly a sizing issue. I'm thinking this isn't uncommon.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
If you're going to use OEM gears you dont need a new carrier, just the new R&P. The carriers in the ZF rearend are just different bolt patterns. If you want to run aftermarket gears you can either get use your existing carrier or buy a new OEM carrier and have the new bolt pattern drilled in. Heres a recent ZF covential carrier I did for a forum member with both Ring gear patterns drilled in....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts