·
Premium Member
32,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a tv show called ....
Hack My Life

on it they said that you should chew gum while cutting onions
it supposedly shuts down certain sensory factors & you don't tear up

Previously i thought the only way to cut down on tearing was to to hit the bottom of an onion with something like a mallet before cutting the onion

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
I might be able to give it a try in the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
32,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read something about not having tears, but the eyes are still irritated

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
We slice a couple hundred pounds of onions a day. If you slice them by hand the only thing that really works is having a very sharp knife (Or mandolin) and getting it done quickly. We use a floor mixer with a slicer attachment to do them in bulk and sometimes the prep guys cry and sometimes they don't. Some onions are stronger than others.

·
Administrator
53,298 Posts
Someone told me years ago that breathing through your mouth while cutting helps. Guess the theory is if you're actually smelling the onion it makes your eyes water that much faster. I just try to cut fast lol! I do agree, some onions are more powerful than others and do I ever seem to find the potent ones lol!

- Cajun

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stupid food trivia: When you cut an onion, you break cells, releasing their contents. Amino acid sulfoxides form sulfenic acids. Enzymes that were kept separate now are free to mix with the sulfenic acids to produce propanethiol S-oxide, a volatile sulfur compound that wafts upward toward your eyes.This gas reacts with the water in your tears to form sulfuric acid. The sulfuric acid burns, stimulating your eyes to release more tears to wash the irritant away.
Cooking the onion inactivates the enzyme, so while the smell of cooked onions may be strong, it doesn't burn your eyes. Aside from wearing safety goggles or running a fan, you can keep from crying by refrigerating your onion before cutting it (slows reactions and changes the chemistry inside the onion) or by cutting the onion under water.

How I keep from crying?.......have my prep cooks do it:smileup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts