DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I figured that I wouldn't be doing my job as a Ramforumz member without looking for more ways to spend money on my truck and convincing y'all to do the same :icon1: :LOL: so I was rollin' around the internet at 1 AM today looking at what options were out there.

I love good suspension upgrades-the ride improvement from the Bilstein 4600s and KO2s has been tremendous-but I do not want to mess with altering the height for various reasons. I haul and tow with my truck and so I don't want to level and will keep the stock rake to prevent skyjacking when loaded, dropping a truck is not my thing, and for the aforementioned reason I don't want to lift it either. I have never found myself to be limited by my truck's height or stance. I am still interested in doing the BW 44-44 part time mod, but its pretty expensive and the electronics and shifting still aren't worked out on it yet so its on the back burner for now.

However, as with the shocks and tires, I am all about upgrading components with heavier duty or better quality parts. Last night I was checking out the Spohn rear trailing arms and panhard bar. They have grease nipples, poly bushings, and look well made. Since I am staying stock height I am specifically looking at the non adjustable pieces; I read an old thread here last night where a member had the adjustable ones and had issues with them holding their adjustment however this would not be an issue for me with the fixed components, and he had very early production ones. Also, they come in black or red and red would look sick. It seems to me that the Heim type (these are proprietary and called "Del-Sphere") end joints would be both more flexible supportive than the simple rubber bushings on the stock arms (which reminds me I need to check the bushings on mine). Plus, who here doesn't love grease fittings?

Anybody have any opinions on this or experience with Spohn or even these specific parts? Its got me thinking of a Hellwig too, but that's more for the poly bushings since its the same diameter as the stock swaybar.

·
Registered
15,651 Posts
gotta love grease fittings. as for me, i also keep the ride stock. to replace parts just to upgrade makes little sense to me. i would rather upgrade as parts wear out.

·
Super Moderator
34,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the plan, but I'm too impatient. If the stock bushings are toast then it will be time though anyway

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Those parts look very nice, red would look sick. I would have to go with black as yellow and red don't look very well together.

·
Super Moderator
34,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those parts look very nice, red would look sick. I would have to go with black as yellow and red don't look very well together.
What about with white and chrome? I don't want it to look thrown together

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
What about with white and chrome? I don't want it to look thrown together
Thunder, red always looks good with white. I bet that would look killer!

·
Super Moderator
34,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thunder, red always looks good with white. I bet that would look killer!
I'll take pics so you can see :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Cool!

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
I admit I never took my Ram on severely uneven terrain before it was lifted so I don't know how much extra movement the Icon coils and longer rear shocks permit, but I'm on stock control arms and the rear axle seems quite free to get into silly enough angles that my narrow 255/80r17 tires are rubbing their inner sidewalls on the vertical parts of the fender liners. That tells me even if they are binding it's not before I've already run out of room for additional movement anyway.

Just providing this in case it's useful in making your decision.

·
Super Moderator
34,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a pic of the lower arm:

Uppers:

Panhard bar:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Those are for sure sweet looking parts!

·
Super Moderator
34,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They only come in red or black; my truck is white and chrome.

I've decided on red to highlight the components so that all the guys driving behind me in their non-Ram trucks can gaze in awe and be jealous with their ox cart suspensions from the 12th century.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
They only come in red or black; my truck is white and chrome.

I've decided on red to highlight the components so that all the guys driving behind me in their non-Ram trucks can gaze in awe and be jealous with their ox cart suspensions from the 12th century.
I'm offended by this comment. Some people enjoy their "ox cart" suspension. *Hides in safe space*

For real though nice color choice and upgrade, I like leafs only because of how easy they are to adjust and honestly....with a live solid axle there is not much difference one you start modding it for better ground holding.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts