DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at trading in my 2015 2500 6.4 on a new 3500. I tow a 35' 5er that has a gvwr of 11,000 lbs. I've done all the online building I can do on Ram's website but they aren't clear on some options.

1. If I get the diesel with the Aisin trans, is it the 930 ft/lb torque rating with just that? Or, do I need to have the dual real wheel option as well?
  2. I heard you could only get 3.73's or 4.10's with a dually, but it looks like I can select 3.73's on the Ram site if I choose a Mega Cab short bed. Is that a mistake on the site or can I go with 3.73's if I go Mega Cab?
  3. Payload jumps quite a bit going to a Mega Cab 6' bed single rear wheel, is that because of the increased wheelbase?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer. I'd contact a dealer but it seams they never have a clue if it's not on their lot or something they can locate locally. When I start asking ordering questions, they look at me like I have 6 heads..

Craig

·
Registered
118 Posts
As far as I knew the single rear wheel diesel 3500 came with a 3.42 gear and adding either the 3.73 or 4.10 requires dual rear wheels.

The Hemi comes with a 3.73 and can get a 4.10 with SRW.

I bought a 2017 3500 Mega Cab SRW with the 6.4L Hemi and 4.10 gears, it's a Big Horn and and It has 4280 lbs of payload on the sticker (3900 calculated on scales with me and a full tank of gas).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah it looks like the Mega Cab is only available in the shorter bed but can have drw which explains the increased payload and gear options.

Still haven't found if I can get the 930 ft/lb torque without drw.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As far as I am aware, you only get the 930lb/ft of torque if you have a 2018, 6.7L Cummins, AISIN Trans, and 4.10 gears... Which requires a dually be added. I think there is a Max tow package that adds all of that, air suspension, and 30,000lb 5th wheel hitch as well on some models.

·
8,090 Posts
As dboody said, SRW Cummins truck's only come with 3.42 gears (unfortunately). If you want 3.73's or 4.10's you'll have to step up to a DRW.

The 930 ft-lbs of torque should only require the Aisin transmission. You shouldn't need a DRW with 4.10 gears to get that unless they've changed something recently.

I'm sure you know, but one thing you'll want to watch is cab clearance towing a 5th wheel with a short box truck. A lot of guys have broken rear windows turning sharp. A slider hitch often takes care of that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For about 6 years I hauled RV trailers from the factories in Indiana to dealers across the country. I did it with 1 ton dually diesels, 4:10 gears and an 8' bed. Unpleasant things can happen fast on the highway and for that reason I would recommend you purchase a truck with an 8' bed. As far as gears go do not go any higher than 3:73. Personally I would go with 4:10.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As dboody said, SRW Cummins truck's only come with 3.42 gears (unfortunately). If you want 3.73's or 4.10's you'll have to step up to a DRW.

The 930 ft-lbs of torque should only require the Aisin transmission. You shouldn't need a DRW with 4.10 gears to get that unless they've changed something recently.

I'm sure you know, but one thing you'll want to watch is cab clearance towing a 5th wheel with a short box truck. A lot of guys have broken rear windows turning sharp. A slider hitch often takes care of that.
Yep, I have a Pullrite Super Glide for our 5th wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got everything cleared up and pretty much exactly what everyone said here. Need DRW for anything other than 3.42's. 930 ft-lbs is with the Aisin trans, SRW or DRW..

I ended up getting an 2018 with the Aisin, DRW, with 3.73's. It's an absolute beast! I didn't want to go 4.10's because its also my daily driver and our 5er is only 11,000 gvwr.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts