DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place;

I have a crack starting and spidering upwards on the plastic cover over the speedometer/control panel area.

Can I replace this piece alone or will I need to replace multiple things? This is my first truck/first dodge just looking for a little advice.

Thanks in advance!
-B1

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Is it the clear plastic that you look through to see the gauges?
That part may still be under warranty
The main warranty is 3 year or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first
===========================================================
I highly recommend that before either of these occurs, that you turn in your remaining warranty on a pro rated basis & purchase a Lifetime Maximum Care Warranty

I turned mine in at 34,000 miles, my original Basic Care warranty was a 7 year, the pro rating paid for about 1/2 of the price of the new Max Care

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did indeed put this in the wrong spot.

I have a 2011 with 19k miles. It is still under warranty. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I don't answer your question. Yes it is the piece you're talking about.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I would wait until your next oil change & either mention it or if your dealer has a reason for visit form, write it down on the sheet & mention it
Ask the Service Writer to see what they can do for you, they may need to consult the Service Department Manager & that person may have to check with the people at RAM.
If you are told right off the bat, that because it is plastic, it is going to cost you $ X, contact RAM directly, preferably by Snail mail & politely explain to them along with pictures & ask them for their advice.
Always be civil & try to even smile when trying to work out warranty issues, believe me, it goes a long way. A pleasant customer sometimes gets things done that are truly outside of the print on the warranty, there is GREY area & sometimes they are willing to enter it when someone is acting like a friend

Good Luck

Ramtrucks Contact info
http://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/ramtrucks/index.jsp

By the way, if you contact them at Customer Assistance, you can ask for a BUILD SHEET, you will need your Mileage & VIN # when you ask for it, it has nothing to do with the warranty, but i am sure glad that i have it. It is a 3 page listing of everything about your Particular Ram. It is a great reference tool & it is FREE

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Guys, I know this is an old post but how did you guys make out on your instrument cluster plastic repair.
I thought I was the only one.
It happened to my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with 25,000 on it. Chrys dealer replaced whole head under 3-36,000 warranty. It did it again at 50,000 miles and contacted Dealer and they said too bad, can't fix under warranty. Contacted Chrysler and they said they couldn't help me because they had no complaints on the subject so I was SOL. I said you replaced it once for the same thing under warranty and obviously there is a problem here, why not replace it again. No answer back. Just no, out of warranty. I did find a replacement plastic screen for it on ebay but not sure it's correct part. that head is sealed so not sure I want to tackle it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Guys, I know this is an old post but how did you guys make out on your instrument cluster plastic repair.
I thought I was the only one.
It happened to my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with 25,000 on it. Chrys dealer replaced whole head under 3-36,000 warranty. It did it again at 50,000 miles and contacted Dealer and they said too bad, can't fix under warranty. Contacted Chrysler and they said they couldn't help me because they had no complaints on the subject so I was SOL. I said you replaced it once for the same thing under warranty and obviously there is a problem here, why not replace it again. No answer back. Just no, out of warranty. I did find a replacement plastic screen for it on ebay but not sure it's correct part. that head is sealed so not sure I want to tackle it.
That lens is ultrasonically welded to the mask. You would have to buy the whole cluster. Unless you can find one(mask assembly) on Ebay, classified adds here or at a Junk yard

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's what I thought Mike. I figured if dealer could have fixed it the first time with just replacing the shield they would have. I'll look again on ebay. I found one some time ago that said it was just the shield for around 75.00. If I find it again I'll post and you guys can look at it and see what u think.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I important piece of advise while cleaning the cluster lens........
Do NOT use any cleaning chemicals on it at all. This could cause stress to the lens and possibly make it crack. The best thing is either plain water or just a dry microfiber towel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts