DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2000 Dodge 4X4 with 5.9L. been tiring to get it started. As I said no spark at the coil, I know the coil is good it starts my other Dodge. I test the wire that supplies 12 volts to it. I hook a volt meter to it and have my helper crank the motor. I get 12 volts but it quickly goes to 0 and doesn't get the switching signal from the PCM. I have replaced the crank sensor and the cam sensor. The ASD relay from the Dodge that's running didn't make any difference. The truck has been sitting all winter in the garage. Could there be a short somewhere? between the PCM and coil? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any codes?
No codes, however I have been looking, I have put 2 new crank sensors on tiring to get it to start. Can I find out if the PCM is reading the crank sensor by watching the tack on the dash? I tired and the tack didn't move.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No codes, however I have been looking, I have put 2 new crank sensors on tiring to get it to start. Can I find out if the PCM is reading the crank sensor by watching the tack on the dash? I tired and the tack didn't move.
So does the ASD relay send the signal to the coil? Why does my test light light up and not flash?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
ASD reley gives 12V to coil, 02's and injectors. If you have a test light you need to put it on the negative side and run the other lead to battery positive. Then have someone crank it over to see if the light flashes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ASD reley gives 12V to coil, 02's and injectors. If you have a test light you need to put it on the negative side and run the other lead to battery positive. Then have someone crank it over to see if the light flashes.
Ok, I put the test light on the negative side of the coil wire and the other end to the positive battery post and it did nothing. I made sure I had a good connection from the battery.As much as I hate to I think I'm going to change the crank sensor, again.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Ok, I put the test light on the negative side of the coil wire and the other end to the positive battery post and it did nothing.
Did you have somebody crank the motor while you did this? If so then you need to get a scanner(or blutooth one for your phone) that can show live data. The pcm needs inputs from both crank and cam sensors before it will fire the coil. You can check it with a meter but it's way easier this way. What is the history of it? Did it run before and stop? New to you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you have somebody crank the motor while you did this? If so then you need to get a scanner(or blutooth one for your phone) that can show live data. The pcm needs inputs from both crank and cam sensors before it will fire the coil. You can check it with a meter but it's way easier this way. What is the history of it? Did it run before and stop? New to you?
Yes, someone cranked the motor. I tried the scanner I had and it couldn't find the PCM. I'm going to get a different scanner on Monday to see if I get anymore information from it. I'll post tomorrow with what I find out. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts