DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not getting any spark to the plugs. originally the truck might or might not start had to leave it at jobsite a couple of times after not starting would come back the next day and would fire right up. This time I was going down the road and she up and quit on me and hasn't started since. Any help would be appreciated, thanks:4-dontknow:

E

·
0 Posts
Sounds like your coil or distributor has gone bad. I'd get both of them tested.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
My buddy has sent his computer to be checked out & re-programmed
PIN 19 has no electric power to it

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Not getting any spark to the plugs. originally the truck might or might not start had to leave it at jobsite a couple of times after not starting would come back the next day and would fire right up. This time I was going down the road and she up and quit on me and hasn't started since. Any help would be appreciated, thanks:4-dontknow:
Well, One way to check the ignition coil is to remove the plug wire from it and then try to crank the engine, if the coil is good then arc's should come from the terminal on the coil. A buddy of mine wired his alternator backwards and he killed his coil that way lol. Anyway's while you're working on all this might as well remove the pickup coil from the distributor and clean the contacts replace the pickup coil if required, note that modern pickup coils are magnetic and no longer have contacts, but you have a 1990 so you might still have a contact IDK 100%. Anyway's once you get everything running try removing the spark plug and see if the spark is blue or yellow, blue is good but if it's yellow then the ignition coil isn't putting out enough power. Anywho, where in florida are you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I need to check the coil, no work in 2-1/2 weeks means try the cheap easy fixes first

Ramvan, I'm in Lauderdale

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Thanks guys, I need to check the coil, no work in 2-1/2 weeks means try the cheap easy fixes first

Ramvan, I'm in Lauderdale
Lauderdale wow, I was going to say if you were closer and can get it started you can bring it up to me and I will fix it for free (labor and diagnostics). Anyways, check the coil like I said, it's located on the passenger side of the engine. Just pull the spark wire boot off then try cranking the engine and if their is spark coming from the terminal on the coil then the coil is good, if no spark then coil is cooked. If the sparks are yellow then the coil is weak.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Same thing happened to me... Ended up bieng my ecu. Sucks...

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
This is a Gen 1 Ramcharger? Doesn't it have a single prong ballast resistor?

I might be wrong...but doesn't the ballast resistor cut the voltage to the coil to 6 volts in the run position. But increases it to 12 volts in the start position supplying the correct power to start the engine?

A bad ballast resistor usually maxes out at 6 volts...and then the engine just cranks but won't start? (yellow spark) I'm pretty sure they cost under $10 and I always carried a spare.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man that's the best answer I ever got nobody ever could explain my 6 bolts sold me fuseboxes and all kinda shit
Where is it has to be my situation it cranked a million times and finally won't anymore though it had never sparked but now i may have over burdened the starter.
But I can try that ballist if I can find it

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
It's 10 volts running, 12V for startup. Anyway Magafox, what year is yours? There are different reasons for a no-start between carb'd units and EFI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts