DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a new Ram 1500 diesel.

Planning on building in house but the contractor will do all the heavy lifting. But of course there will be odds and ends for me to do. And once we have moved in there will alway's be "something" to do on the lot. So I have no commercial need for this vehicle. Choosing a crew cab for the large interior space to stuff can be locked and stay dry. Or the Dogs can travel in comfort.

I will have more questions later for this forum. But my first one is what bed / box length to choose. Also planning on ordering the Rambox. Limiting the with of the bed as well.

Curious what the consensus is for a 5'7" vs 6'4" box / bed length.

Looking forward to your reply,

Roger

·
Super Moderator
34,746 Posts
Have you at least looked at the Quad Cab? I don't know how big your dog is, but mine has never needed more space than my dad's 2009 SLT QC has in the back. Also, I think you would still have plenty of storage space, especially with the rambox. Just a recommendation though, you know your needs better than I do. The CC 6.4' trucks are very long and would be more difficult to maneuver than a Quad Cab 6.4' or Crew Cab 5.7' (both of which are the same length).

I will tell you that the 6.4' bed is much better to have for home improvement projects than the shorter bed. It allows you to fit 8' boards with the tailgate closed if you fit them diagonally. The 5.7' is adequate for most things, but you'll be happier with the 6.4'.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Like Thunderhorse said, only you can decide what will work for you. I can say that you will not go wrong with the Ram Boxes. It only takes up the usually unused space that the rear wheel wells took up. So that 4x8 can get in there with out problems. Also, the Ram boxes has it's own bed divider/bed extender. (which can be stored away at the front of the bed and locked) Think about what kind of area you will be driving in also. City could be a big issue for parking a CC with 6.4 bed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick reply,

I have seen and sat in the various Ram 1500 trucks at the 2013 LA car show and at the local dealer. Also peeked at my neighbors truck.

For sure I want the crew cab. You mention one of my main concerns about the 6"4' bed. The handling and parking...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like Thunderhorse said, only you can decide what will work for you. I can say that you will not go wrong with the Ram Boxes. It only takes up the usually unused space that the rear wheel wells took up. So that 4x8 can get in there with out problems. Also, the Ram boxes has it's own bed divider/bed extender. (which can be stored away at the front of the bed and locked) Think about what kind of area you will be driving in also. City could be a big issue for parking a CC with 6.4 bed.
Since i will me mostly an "air hauler" I think the 5"4 bed will be fine.
Might get a trailer for transporting larger "stuff" with the lower height and a ramp its easier to load. Better yet, leave it where they need to unload it. No need for me to hang around :gy:

·
Registered
755 Posts
I went with the CC 6'4 bed for the added storage both dry inside the cab and the bed once I get a tonneau. But I have loaded a Suburban from the back of the front seat to the doors with my camping gear to go to the track so room was important. Also sat in the back, thought it was very tight and wanted the extra dry storage for the camp kitchen cabinets. The turning radius isn't much more than my current truck and I'm rarely at the limits even in Atlanta. The overall length is greater and more importantly wheelbase is longer than my Surburban so it will take some time but doubt too long. And to me, definitely worth the small extra charge. It just barely, about 2 inches front and rear, in the garage but will be parking outside.

Also got the RamBoxes myself for the smaller camping gear I'll carry around most of the time. Think the divider will work great with a tonneau to make a 'trunk' at the end of the bed for daily driving and groceries.

·
Super Moderator
34,746 Posts
I personally think the crew cab looks a bit odd with the longer bed. I would choose the 5'7 bed for sure.
Funny you say that, I always thought that the CC 5.7' made the cab look disproportionately fat. The CC 6.4' looks long, but I think a bit more proportional. But really you should decide more based on needs than on looks, which are entirely subjective anyway. You already decided on the best looking truck by deciding on a Ram. :smileup:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have the quad cab, its big enough for my black lab but he must be getting old because I had to help him get in with the flat floor things folded down its a pretty high jump.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ordered mine with the 5,7 RamBox bed. I just felt the longer bed would be too much of a pain to park and while I do haul the occassional sheet of drywall, plywood, etc, it's not often enough to have to deal with the longer bed all the time for.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have the quad cab, its big enough for my black lab but he must be getting old because I had to help him get in with the flat floor things folded down its a pretty high jump.
I have the same problem with my Ridgeback. The 2500 is high and he's 8.5 years old. I'm building a folding ramp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts