DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago the cam wiped out in my truck. The stupid lifter yoke broke a tab and allowed the lifter turn sideways on the cam. I chose to go with the crower stage 1 cam p/n 35417. It is not listed in their print catalog. You can get the specs online for it. DJ at Crower was a big help. I also purchased the spring kit listed for the truck. The spring kit listed will not work. Luckily I live in San Diego so I drove to their location with one of my heads and a stock spring. They were perplexed when they saw the size difference. One of their techs named Guy (spring expert) worked with me for a little over an hour to find a spring that would work. Outstanding service! Here is what we came up with a set of tungsten p/n 68314 and retainers p/n87044. There is a damper with this spring and you need put it at the bottom of spring so that the spring is tight on the seat. I'll let you all know how the build goes. hoping for some significant gains. Along with the cam I'm doing the fastman tb, headers, hemi fever tune. I expect the massive porting polishing I did will really open this beast up with the cam. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you get your motor back together? I also have a V10 that wiped the stock cam. I'm trying to decide what to do as it seems that only Crower makes cams for these motors anymore. Are you happy with the cam? Was it worth $500+? If it really helps the motor I'm willing to spend the cash, but I don't want to put it in and not feel any difference for that much money.

Thanks.

·
Registered
'95 2500 8.L 4x4, '03 1500 5.7L 4x4 OffRoad, '85 W350 5.9L, '02 1500 Sport 5.2L
147 Posts
Depending on the condition of your core there is more than enough meat for a regrind. My machine shop sent one of my cores to HebertCams in SoCal. They forgot a Magnum was set up for 1.6 rocker ratio instead of the old RB Block 1.5. Sent me a cam that would put a Viper into the 10s. They recut it, sent me back something with about .496 lift, 220 degrees @ .050. Cost a lot less than a new Crower, for sure.
Ended up cutting valve seal seats, and using a set of LS1 dual springs. I have Viper stainless valves, built by Manley, backcut intake, radius exhaust, installed height was about .10in more than the Magnum originals. Magnum rockers clear just fine. Milled the heads like .030 for about 9.3:1 with FelPro gaskets. Smith Brothers hardened 5/16 pushrods, ended needing 7.75 for .030 preload on lifters if I recall correctly. Crower, EnginePros can supply these as well. Nice three angle valve job, pocket ported, cut the short turn radius, and blended the seats, slimmed the valve guide a bit, matched the intake gaskets, no polishing, just knocked off all the tits and boogers, maybe 60 grit finish. A decent degree wheel, some checking springs and pushrod and some help from your machinist, you are good to go. Good luck, Mike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for the reply mike I’ll be sending you a message if you don’t mind so I can keep you in the loop and ask any questions I have. Awesome to know that this is possible and can be done correctly!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts