DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Update:

The truck has been good since the computer flashes. Except one day where the cruise did what it was doing before and was not working. That day was about 2 weeks after the visit to the dealer and it has been fine ever since. I recently took the truck to the dealer and had them plug it in and see if there were any codes like there were the first time the issue happened. The dealer said no stored codes and they checked the operation as a courtesy and said it was fine, which i knew... But I am thinking this may be trouble down the line. An annoyance more than anything but still. Oh there was also a computer update available when I took the truck in so they did that as well. I forget what it was but this thing has more updates than anything I have ever seen out there...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Update:

The truck has been good since the computer flashes. Except one day where the cruise did what it was doing before and was not working. That day was about 2 weeks after the visit to the dealer and it has been fine ever since. I recently took the truck to the dealer and had them plug it in and see if there were any codes like there were the first time the issue happened. The dealer said no stored codes and they checked the operation as a courtesy and said it was fine, which i knew... But I am thinking this may be trouble down the line. An annoyance more than anything but still. Oh there was also a computer update available when I took the truck in so they did that as well. I forget what it was but this thing has more updates than anything I have ever seen out there...
Horndog is right. when it comes to updates we have plenty, if you find a tech that cares about your truck... they should do all the updates each time they plug in up to the 3/36. after that pcm and tcm can still be done under warranty till 100k. I try to keep my customers current as it tends to keep them from getting frustrated with their truck due something as simple as a flash update. As far as those switches go... well... your not alone. we do a ton of those!

PSYDOC, do you have any abs/trac lights on?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Horndog is right. when it comes to updates we have plenty, if you find a tech that cares about your truck... they should do all the updates each time they plug in up to the 3/36. after that pcm and tcm can still be done under warranty till 100k. I try to keep my customers current as it tends to keep them from getting frustrated with their truck due something as simple as a flash update. As far as those switches go... well... your not alone. we do a ton of those!

PSYDOC, do you have any abs/trac lights on?
So what does it take to get the switch replaced where you work? Should I use any specific language or just keep bringing it in with the issue?
Trouble is that it is hard to just pop in when the truck has the issue so they can see and it hasn't done it in a while "knock on wood"

·
Registered
139 Posts
So what does it take to get the switch replaced where you work? Should I use any specific language or just keep bringing it in with the issue?
Trouble is that it is hard to just pop in when the truck has the issue so they can see and it hasn't done it in a while "knock on wood"
well, here (where I work) I would just ask you to stop in if you have it happening at the time and leave the truck running so the problem can be duplicated. that is if there isn't any codes. the switches usually throw a code for "switch stuck", "open circuit", or something that would help point in the direction of the switch having an issue. obviously the repair could take place while you wait but, the removing the steering wheel is required if you have a newer truck. (forgive me I didn't notice what year you had) This isn't a complicated repair... for most. Every dealer is different and these days, people are lazy... meaning they want to have a computer tell them whats wrong. These days we can look at input and output signals, makes it easy. You just need to find a tech that takes pride in his work.
Basically, if the switch fails, it will leave some form of code... not all the time... but 90% of the time. even if you turn the truck off, it will leave what is known as a "stored" code. "stored" just means that the vehicle saw an issue, but now everything is working normally. Its like pointing a finger in the direction of the problem. If they are giving you a hard time about it, it sounds like you might want to visit another dealer. hope that helps

·
Registered
139 Posts
No abs/other lights on...
this one is a little more complicated.. in a 2005 the only thing I can think of that would stop it, would be a wheel speed sensor left unplugged. but if there is no abs codes, I would steer towards a possible vacuum leak... the cruise on those trucks (2005) was controlled by a vacuum.. just a guess. hard to figure out without looking at it, but I would check all your vacuum lines.. its one thing that wouldn't throw a code.

·
Registered
363 Posts
a couple of days ago mine wouldn't turn on, then a minute or so later it did. next day, nuttin....$h!t the bed. hasn't worked in a couple of days now. First problem I've had with this truck. I don't use it except for my trip into work in the morning. its mostly freeway or interstate and at 0300 hrs there aren't many cars on the road except LEO's so I set it for around 65 as to not draw too much attention. they're pretty good and they let us run at that speed....just don't go 71.
it must be a bad switch or connection. if i bang on the wheel a little, it will work again. i'll have them check it at 50000

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a real problem with having to flash the computers in all this new gear. Not just cars but pretty much everything you buy. If it's worked for a couple of years why the he!! should it need a flash to keep working? It's not like it's on the internet and we need security updates or anything. How can it just stop working? I'm pretty sure mine needs a new switch, I do need to take it in soon while it still has warranty, no way I'm buying an overpriced extended warranty. Never have and never will.
I certainly agree with how you feel, however there was a security issue with the RFH in the 8.4 radios. there was a recall for the effected vehicles that this applied to.

Unfortunately all the manufactures are trying to keep up with each other and trying to stay on top with technology. vehicles are more and more electronically controlled and even the manufactures are trying to make it so they can get data whenever needed.

they find common problems with programming and a lot of the time they can fix a performance issue with a simple flash update.

·
Registered
139 Posts
thought I would add this so you can see what we see... the blue squares are active controllers, the green circles are available updates. thought I would add it just for some information.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
well, here (where I work) I would just ask you to stop in if you have it happening at the time and leave the truck running so the problem can be duplicated. that is if there isn't any codes. the switches usually throw a code for "switch stuck", "open circuit", or something that would help point in the direction of the switch having an issue. obviously the repair could take place while you wait but, the removing the steering wheel is required if you have a newer truck. (forgive me I didn't notice what year you had) This isn't a complicated repair... for most. Every dealer is different and these days, people are lazy... meaning they want to have a computer tell them whats wrong. These days we can look at input and output signals, makes it easy. You just need to find a tech that takes pride in his work.
Basically, if the switch fails, it will leave some form of code... not all the time... but 90% of the time. even if you turn the truck off, it will leave what is known as a "stored" code. "stored" just means that the vehicle saw an issue, but now everything is working normally. Its like pointing a finger in the direction of the problem. If they are giving you a hard time about it, it sounds like you might want to visit another dealer. hope that helps
Thanks for the input, that helps me understand the dealers side of things. I figured I would need to bring it in while the issue was happening. I just thought it was odd that the computer did not store the code, as it did the first time. Although like I said it only happened once since the computer flashes, and the first time before the flashes it happened almost daily. Does the computer drop the code if it runs diagnostics and doesn't find the issue after so many self tests?
I have only been to this dealer twice and they seem pretty good so far but I guess only time will tell... I am not hoping for an issue with my truck but I know this is a fairly common issue with these trucks and I hope to get it settled before the warranty runs out... It is a 2015 by the way.

·
Registered
177 Posts
thought I would add this so you can see what we see... the blue squares are active controllers, the green circles are available updates. thought I would add it just for some information.
That's awesome, really does make your life easier doesn't it. You must see trucks all the time with updates needed. Do you check vehicles for this when they come in for any service? Mine was in for an alignment and they checked it, although I did ask them to check for the stored code.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for the input, that helps me understand the dealers side of things. I figured I would need to bring it in while the issue was happening. I just thought it was odd that the computer did not store the code, as it did the first time. Although like I said it only happened once since the computer flashes, and the first time before the flashes it happened almost daily. Does the computer drop the code if it runs diagnostics and doesn't find the issue after so many self tests?
I have only been to this dealer twice and they seem pretty good so far but I guess only time will tell... I am not hoping for an issue with my truck but I know this is a fairly common issue with these trucks and I hope to get it settled before the warranty runs out... It is a 2015 by the way.
if you have a CEL on (check engine light) it will set a code. If that particular issue is not seen during the next 3 key cycles the CEL will go out put the code stays stored until it is erased or the battery has been disconnected for a long period. In the case where you have a switch issue, there will not be any warning light but the controller will keep the code "stored." we have 3 types of codes, active, pending, stored. the active code is the best for diag as it is currently seeing the problem and makes the "duplicating the concern" much easier. if the code goes "stored", getting the problem to show itself can sometimes be tricky. that is why dealers will usually tell you to "come back when it is happening". It's not to frustrate the owner... simply, we see there was a problem, and need to see what it is doing, so we can fix it. so much electronics in these things, these days, make some things easier, yet electrical problems can be nightmares.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's awesome, really does make your life easier doesn't it. You must see trucks all the time with updates needed. Do you check vehicles for this when they come in for any service? Mine was in for an alignment and they checked it, although I did ask them to check for the stored code.
yeah, there are updates all the time. somethings are easier, but some vehicles can have as many as 25 controllers... so yes, "getting in the ballpark" so to speak, is quicker... but some times the diag can be a nightmare. many controllers communicate back and forth... so one might be giving another a false reading, yet the controller doesn't know there is an issue.

I do mostly truck work, when my customers come in and I have to plug in, I always check. It is just how I do things... the other guys in the shop will only update a controller if it pertains to their repair, and leave all the rest outdated. Personally, I treat my customers as I would hope they would treat me. besides, if the customer has everything up to date, they should have less issues. again, just how I personally do things. if they come in for something as simple as an oil change and they are at 35,999 miles... I check. all the flash updates would be covered under warranty still, but only PCM and TCM updates will be covered up to 100k.

·
Registered
177 Posts
if you have a CEL on (check engine light) it will set a code. If that particular issue is not seen during the next 3 key cycles the CEL will go out put the code stays stored until it is erased or the battery has been disconnected for a long period. In the case where you have a switch issue, there will not be any warning light but the controller will keep the code "stored." we have 3 types of codes, active, pending, stored. the active code is the best for diag as it is currently seeing the problem and makes the "duplicating the concern" much easier. if the code goes "stored", getting the problem to show itself can sometimes be tricky. that is why dealers will usually tell you to "come back when it is happening". It's not to frustrate the owner... simply, we see there was a problem, and need to see what it is doing, so we can fix it. so much electronics in these things, these days, make some things easier, yet electrical problems can be nightmares.
Thank you. Yeah I am hoping this is as much electric issues I ever have to deal with...

·
Registered
177 Posts
yeah, there are updates all the time. somethings are easier, but some vehicles can have as many as 25 controllers... so yes, "getting in the ballpark" so to speak, is quicker... but some times the diag can be a nightmare. many controllers communicate back and forth... so one might be giving another a false reading, yet the controller doesn't know there is an issue.

I do mostly truck work, when my customers come in and I have to plug in, I always check. It is just how I do things... the other guys in the shop will only update a controller if it pertains to their repair, and leave all the rest outdated. Personally, I treat my customers as I would hope they would treat me. besides, if the customer has everything up to date, they should have less issues. again, just how I personally do things. if they come in for something as simple as an oil change and they are at 35,999 miles... I check. all the flash updates would be covered under warranty still, but only PCM and TCM updates will be covered up to 100k.
Wish I lived in Florida I'd come to your dealership lol. I would like to hope the techs here are good people like yourself and would take care of any customer as good. The trouble is that sometimes its hard to tell...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my steering wheel switch replaced because on 3 occasions my cruise control wouldn't turn on for a couple weeks to a few months. Then out of the blue it would start working again. Hasn't acted up since replacing the switch a year ago.
Smack in front steering wheel its works than my switch was replaced too

21 - 37 of 37 Posts