DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sick of my 4.7L and am planning on just upgrading to the Cummins. I am getting terrible gas mileage with it and was just wondering what the mileage you guys are getting on like the 5.9L Cummings. It would be a third or second gen but not sure exactly what year. I wouldnt mind like a 1999 or in the range. Don't have a ton to spend. But just curiouse on the mileage!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an 06 5.9l, get 18.5 driving around easy on normal driving like 16.7 city at the lowest, but 20-21 highway, with my quadzilla 20 average 23-24 highway

·
Registered
21 Posts
one of my close friends has a 2004.5 dodge 2500 lifted 6" in 20" wheels and 35" tires and he has a chip on his cummins and he set the cruise control at 55-65 and got over 30mpg. and he gets around 20 in town...and when he isn't really heavy on the peddle he gets better in town. with his new chip i'm sure it'll get better if it has an eco setting

·
Registered
319 Posts
yeah all of our CUMMINS average right around 18 empty and when pulling heavy we average 10-12.5. The best years for mileage are gonna be the 03-04.5. if you go with a 2nd gen you are not gonna be happy with the power stock but throw a programmer on there and you will love it. Highest mileage i have seen was 22.5 on my 03 going 55mph not wind flat ground and very easy on pedal. To be safe i wouldnt expect any higher than 18mpg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts