DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious what folks were getting for mileage with their loaded trailers. I have always been curious what the ecodiesel would get towing a similar load, but, that would require the 3.92 gears to get about 8500# max towing.
I have the 8 speed trans, 5.7, and 3.21 gears.

On my last trip, which was last weekend, I drove about 100 miles each way from New Hampshire to Old Orchard Beach, Maine and back. I got about 8.6 mpg using 89 octane fuel and the dash computer. This was about 1 mpg lower than I'm accustomed to, however, I now have 275/65/20's, so the speedo/truck is off with the 1" taller tire.

I mostly stay around 60-65 mph and kept the truck limited to 6th gear max. I have two toll booths to go through which doesn't help as I have to slow down to 10-15 to go through, then quickly get back to highways speeds and merge to the correct lanes.

My trailer is 31'6 tongue to tail and the dry weight is about 5700#. I crossed the CAT scale at 13,200# combined on my last trip, which is 600 pounds shy of my GCWR. My rear axle was about 150# overloaded (3900# max) so I'll have to adjust the WDH.

Thanks!
:wavey:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I tow a 4600# dry weight TT that is around 6000 when loaded with 3.55 gears. When I head Northward from where I live I am limited to around 90kmph (55 mph) and have numerous small towns and stop signs to go thru. I usually get between 16 and 18mpg hand calculated with my 15 Big Horn CC 4x4 with 6'4" box. The Eco does this with no issues at all. Trailer length is 27'5" tongue to bumper. I have the stock 275/60 x 20 SRA tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We picked up a new TT today. We were probably around 6000 lbs (haven’t had a chance to take it to the scales yet and we’re also not fully loaded). I’ve got the 5.7 with 3.21 gears. We pulled it about 160 miles on 87 octane, 90% on the interstate (60-65 mph). According to the dash we ended up around 11 mpg. When we head home I’m probably going to try 89 octane to see if there’s a difference.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I went on a road trip today. Temp was 31* C and had the cruise set at 107kmph. Looked at the fuel mileage and it was running at 6L/100 kms/ 39.2mpgUS. This was on a flat stretch of road about 3 miles long with virtually no wind.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Pulling a light-weight ~4000lb loaded travel trailer with the 5.7, 8-speed and 3.21 gears. Over the last 4 seasons - close to 20k towing miles - overall average is right around 12mpg. The one time I ran a tank almost entirely freeway without the trailer got about 20mpg hand-calculated. I got no complaints... :smileup:

Edit: Should have included that I only run the recommended 89 octane.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My truck is 5.7Hemi, crew cab long bed 4x4 and 3.21 axles. My wheels- I'm not a wheel junkie, so I'm ok with the original chrome plated 17" rims and 265/70 R17 Tires. I pull a overall 35ft trailer from tongue to bumper. The dry weight is 6500# and loaded I'm guessing around 8000#. I also have usually the camping chairs, grill, a plastic container with fire wood, carpets, and small stuff in the bed. I know might be little overloaded, but I haven't noticed any bad behavior or problems. I also mostly travel short distances for around 50 miles, the longest trips was 200 miles one way and up/down the hill.
I check regular my fuel mileage just for habit.
regardless if I'm going 50 miles to the lake or 200 miles to the mountains- I average around 12mpg, while keeping a steady speed between 60 and 65mph. I don't limit my transmission- I let it do, what it wants to do. that's what the TCM is there for to decide, which gear is best.
I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was only getting an average of 7 MPG when towing our RV. It weighs about 6,500 but with everything its closer to 7,000 lbs. I drove to Port Aransas from Fort Worth at about an average of 70 mph. I ran 89 octane and I have the 3.92 gears. Is this normal?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was only getting an average of 7 MPG when towing our RV. It weighs about 6,500 but with everything its closer to 7,000 lbs. I drove to Port Aransas from Fort Worth at about an average of 70 mph. I ran 89 octane and I have the 3.92 gears. Is this normal?
Speed is the most likely culprit here not overall weight. Drag/wind resistance against the frontal area of the trailer will be the bigger factor. Remember, you are essentially dragging a vertical 4 x 8 sheet of plywood down the road - lots of resistance. Try dropping your speed 8-10 mph next time you are out and see what the difference is. If your trailer has ST-rated tires they are generally rated to 65 mph anyway.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If 6500 is the stated dry weight, I would guess you're around 7500 loaded.
That's lower mileage than I would expect, but is it a TT or a small 5W?
Wind, elevation, and slowing /speeding up for traffic are huge factors.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My truck is 5.7Hemi, crew cab long bed 4x4 and 3.21 axles. My wheels- I'm not a wheel junkie, so I'm ok with the original chrome plated 17" rims and 265/70 R17 Tires. I pull a overall 35ft trailer from tongue to bumper. The dry weight is 6500# and loaded I'm guessing around 8000#. I also have usually the camping chairs, grill, a plastic container with fire wood, carpets, and small stuff in the bed. I know might be little overloaded, but I haven't noticed any bad behavior or problems. I also mostly travel short distances for around 50 miles, the longest trips was 200 miles one way and up/down the hill.
I check regular my fuel mileage just for habit.
regardless if I'm going 50 miles to the lake or 200 miles to the mountains- I average around 12mpg, while keeping a steady speed between 60 and 65mph. I don't limit my transmission- I let it do, what it wants to do. that's what the TCM is there for to decide, which gear is best.
I'm happy with it.
That's pretty good!
I notice that on shorter trips that exclude the highway I can get 11-12 mpg, but once I hit the highway, the mpg's take a hit. I have a hard time going slower than 65 on the highway, so I pay the price. (I try to maintain 65)

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
That's pretty good!
I notice that on shorter trips that exclude the highway I can get 11-12 mpg, but once I hit the highway, the mpg's take a hit. I have a hard time going slower than 65 on the highway, so I pay the price. (I try to maintain 65)

My camper has this "modern" aerodynamic nose- it seems to help. This thing looks huuuuge, when you're in front of it. It covers everything- even gas bottles and battery.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've seen the upscale models with the molded noses and wondered if there was any noticeable benefit to them, the same as the air deflectors they make for trucks.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I can't tell you, because I never pulled another camper with my truck. But I would say, that they make this stuff for a reason- same as they do for the semi- trucks- must save more money on gas than it cost to mount it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was just curious what folks were getting for mileage with their loaded trailers.

32 ft, 7500 lb bumper pull. 3.92 gears in the beast and speed is typically capped at 100 clicks. Average over 40K kms is about 25 L/100 km (9.4 US MPG). Best mileage is down around 19 L/100 km but that requires a very level playing field and no wind. If we're fighting that stiff prairie breeze, mileage easily climbs to 30 L/100 km. We actually get better mileage through the Rockies, which we frequent, than on the prairie fighting that dastardly wind. The beast pulls the TT just fine, it just gets real thirsty when ya need some HP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts