DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I have been looking around at putting in a new air intake but I am not willing to pay 200$ for a plastic tube with a cone filter attached. So I was thinking about going out to the home depot and buying some 4 inch plastic tubing then running by autozone and picking up a 4 inch high flow cone filter and making my own home-brew intake system. Is there any reason why I shouldn't try this?

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
53,566 Posts
No reason at all, in fact, there are lots of folks on here who have saved themselves big time money by doing it that way. There are too many threads to post here, but if you read through some of this section, you will see some of the "home style" CAI's others on here have done! :)

- Cajun :pepper:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
has anyone done this and can offer any words of wisdom such as what type of pipe they used and how they connectedbit to the throtle body?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Do a forum search for INTAKE and you'll find some threads about home made intakes. So far, no reports of problems that I've read.

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
Oh. forgot. I have not had any problems with mine, in rain or snow. The pipe I have is also one piece, so it doesn't look like a sink drain, and you can choose whatever filter floats your boat. The pipe is also thicker than that white stuff.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh. forgot. I have not had any problems with mine, in rain or snow. The pipe I have is also one piece, so it doesn't look like a sink drain, and you can choose whatever filter floats your boat. The pipe is also thicker than that white stuff.
What exactly is your "pipe" made of?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i did something similar except i used a 4" 90 degree schedule 40 elbow with what is called a closet elbow from Lowes. the closet elbow is 3" smooth on one end(fits throttle body nicely) and 4 1/2" female on the other end...4" elbow slides right into the 4 1/2" end of closet elbow.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
No sir. I have a K&N filter with a home made tube system out of white drainagepipe. Light weight and easy to use. Scuffed it down and painted it. looks good and works great.Less than $100 in it total.:smileup:

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I agree with tom on that one. You can put the money you save towards a programmer.

If you want to take a look at S&B intakes. They are cheaper then the rest and they are the best flowing kits, for a ram box. They are made in the USA so they can sell em cheaper

·
Registered
518 Posts
home made cai

used exhaust tip comes in all sizes and lengths.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts