DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be honest I'd not heard of a catch can till I bought my first Ram hemi in January. The Billet Tech can is a piece of art but for me the price point was too high, so I sought out an alternative. An ebay search led me to Brian Lawlor of Signature Products Int'l in Elkhart, IN. He custom builds catch cans, among other items. He had posted a technical write up on catch cans on ebay that I found very informative.

Let me note here his customer service is second to none. Before I purchased, he answered multiple emails with all my inane questions and then guided me thru the entire process - including making up the SS braided hoses for the install. My cost was about $80 - not including hoses and hardware. The mounting bracket - as you'll see, I fashioned myself. The pics tells the story so here we go... first a few of the tank as it arrived from Brian...

The twisted bar that bolts to the "back" of the can is his attempt at a bracket, not knowing my specific installation. Could probably has used it simply by drilling thru the end and mounting where the BT cans mount, but I'd read/heard (mistakenly?) that you can't use that mount with the HEMI cap in place - so I did otherwise.

The 90° drain on bottom was at my specific request to make it easier to reach and activate the drain as his cans do not unscrew like the BT.

The airbox of my CAI takes up a lot of space and searching for an alternate mounting site (fender not available) was challenging. But I found a 'hole' near the radiator cap with an available stock bolt and fit the can there.

To mount it, I cut off the twist in the bracket Brian sent and fashioned a simple L bracket to attach to it. Here are the photos... from front and rear...

And here is the mounting - yellow arrow shows the stock bolt already holding part of the fan shield in place - that I used. Red arrow in first pic shows where the can sits. You can see the L bracket (highlighted in the hash marked red). And the entire bracket in the red circled area...

We built the tank with AN8 connectors but the hoses ID is just 3/8" and our trucks require a 1/2" ID hose at the PCV outlets. This was a miscommunication between Brian and I - but easily solved. A trip to O'Reilly's got me two 1/2" to 3/8" hose couplers allowing me to use the factory rubber mounts for nice clean install as seen in these last two pics. These show the hose running under the CAI tube to the back PCV connection.

Truck is brand new, still barely 3,000 miles and this was installed with about 2,000 miles so I'll be interested to see what comes out at first oil change.

Brian also makes cans with the eyesight tube if you want it and can powder coat in a bazillion colors and even add custom graphics. Can't thank him enough! :smiley_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nice write up and pics! So Brian will put the 1/2" hose connections on at our request? Adn do you know if he has a couple of different mounting bracket options or just the on he sent with your can?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure he'll do the 1/2 hose connections - when we found the error he offered to build an entirely new can with AN10 connections for me but the hose adapters were a simpler, quicker fix and cost about $3 total. Brian will custom build the tank to your specifications. His typical tank has the drain coming straight out at the bottom but I wanted mine with a 90-degree arm on it and as you can see it was no problem. He has a photobucket album of a couple hundred he's built for you to look at. I don't think he has brackets per se, but my guess is he'll fashion one if you know what you want. PM me and I'll send his email.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi! New to the forum world and have been trying for several days now to get so tips on Mods for my New Laramie. Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a catch can & what purpose does it serve? Also I noticed your CAI in the picks, & really like it a lot. Do you mind telling me who makes it & maybe the best place to purchase one, & whether or not it boasts of the same HP gains as the K&N 63 series? I have soooo many questions I could ask about performance mods, but I won't bombard you with them all right now.

Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Goat! First welcome to the Forum and don't be afraid to ask questions - that's what it's all about. I was just like you 3 months ago when I bought my first Ram - I too had never heard of a catch can. Here is the link to an article written by Brian Lawlor - who built mine - that should answer your questions. If not, contact him directly - he's amazingly helpful!

http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-the-RIGHT-catch-can-for-your-vehicle?ugid=10000000019384879

As for my CAI it's a mut - the airbox and filter are part of a OEM Mopar CAI that was on the truck when i bought it. I did not like the OEM intake tube and it was rubbing my hood liner so I went in search of something different. I found Chris Harrigan at Legmaker Intakes. Here's the link to my thread on this forum that tells the story...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=106982

and here is Chris' email [email protected]

And again, welcome.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the info RRR!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts