DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm still bored with the sound of my 4.7. I just can't find an exhaust I like. So I'm thinking about building an exhaust myself. The stainless works mufflers have caught my eye, specifically their chambered round model. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Works-Chambered-Round-Muffler-CR33-/331729044312?hash=item4d3c978358:g:MLEAAOSwcBhWaLA8&vxp=mtr It is a straight through muffler that is advertised as very loud :smileup: it is 100% stainless steel. I would like to weld this up after the cat and run a 45 out from behind the muffler with a single slash cut tip before the rear tire. Yes, you heard it right, I plan on doing just a single in/out exhaust system. But it is 3" the whole way and really not much of a muffler. Soooo my hopes is of something loud and stealthy (hopefully able to pass inspection) Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Loud and healthy are 2 different things. Hard to beat Borla, but you need deep pockets. My hemi is wicked loud, running cut out's, but it never sounded better than with Borla duals.:smileup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah I hear you, It doesn't really need to be anything that gains me HP. I just want to hear myself, I hate hearing only the whistle of my K&N air filter :LOL: I miss my gibson super truck exhaust with gutted cats on my 1998 with the 360 :sad: That was loud, but definitely not healthy. I completely lost back pressure, and lost a lot of performance. But I don't think that'll be the case with the stainless works muffler (atleast I hope). I guess all I can do is give it a go when I get the cash :smileup: And I'll make sure to share my experience, who knows, maybe it'll turn out great (or as a failure)

·
Registered
65 Posts
The key is to eliminate the crushed down Y pipe and crossover. Right now, I'm running Gibson headers out to a 50 series Flowmaster single in, dual out. Then, just turn downs from there. Restriction starts at the Y since it bends down to have the size on each bank. My plan, is to redesign from the cats, back.

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
I'd just be a little concerned with drone/resonance exiting up close to the cab, if you care about that.

Here's the last exhaust on mine. I initially did a galvanized exhaust with cats and a 14" muffler. It had a y pipe prior to the muffler where this exhaust the y is inside the muffler. I reused the stock tailpipe both times to keep the little resonator. The new muffler is a 24" and is basically just as loud as when I had the 14" because I don't have cats now (never realized how much volume they absorbed). The resonance/drone is a little better now though. My truck is ridiculously loud, sounds great too. I do plan to either add a j pipe of some sort or two more resonators in front of the muffler to knock what's left of the resonance/drone down. Wouldn't be too upset if it was a little quieter either.

Hopefully this links correctly but here's the exhaust I have on mine now (page 80 if it doesn't link correctly):

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=90953&highlight=snrusnak+mod&page=80

Only change is I got rid of the slip joints and went with ball/socket joints as they seal better.

Here's a video/sound:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts