DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of doing my own custom design to my exhaust with a summitracing universal kit. welding straight from the CATS and angling right out just behind the front wheels. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Is it necessary to have 3 separate threads about this? LOL

Having a crossover (such as an x pipe, h pipe, or even y pipe) is actually benefitial to performance. Having the exhaust run out and exit just behind the front wheels, without having a crossover, would perform worse than if you had a free flowing exhaust with a crossover and free flowing muffler.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LMAO no just to have different peoples opinions that may not see it because they don't have a 4.7L or a 2010 :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having a crossover (such as an x pipe, h pipe, or even y pipe) is actually benefitial to performance.
Explain? If you don't mind :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I'll use a y pipe as an example since they are most common on our trucks:

Exhaust flow is not constant, it comes from the cylinders in pulses (if you think about it it makes sense). When you have two exhaust pipe that merge to one (and they are of sufficient diameter as to not cause restriction) what happens is the exhaust pulse from one bank of cylinders travels down and passes the y pipe junction, and as it passes the junction it "sucks" the next exhaust pulse coming from the other bank of cylinders. They call this scavenging, and it actually can help "suck" the exhaust out of the engine, improving flow and performance. The restrictions on this are that all the pipes must be properly sized. For our trucks, the oem sizes are about perfect (2.5" downpipes merging into a single 3" pipe).

Typically, an x pipe is better than an h pipe, which is better than a y pipe. But in reality, they are all about equal.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That makes sense. Hmm learn something New everyday. Thanks a lot for the explanation! Maybe i can customize an x pipe under there. I kind of have an idea how im going to make it work.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont like now the stock exhaust SMASHES the Y pipe under the trans. Thats HORSEPOWER BEING TAKEN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that needs to be ELIMINATED

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
There is a member (with a 3rd gen I think) that did an x pipe setup right behind the transmission. Nice setup and will perform well, but IMO it's about the same as a y pipe, and much more material and labor ($$$), and heavier. IMO the extra weight will offset the couple hp gained.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, So Ill go with a custom Y pipe design. Probably buy some 3 inch pipes from summit and cut/weld myself.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
You could go with an aftermarket Y pipe, magnaflow makes one it is stamped and flows well. Flowmaster also has a good one, among others. I think it is like $30, probably easier/cheaper than making your own.

Some do an x pipe with both pipes on the passenger side, but again to me at the end of the day it's equal to the y pipe setup...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They manufacture them for the 2010 4.7L?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a member (with a 3rd gen I think) that did an x pipe setup right behind the transmission. Nice setup and will perform well, but IMO it's about the same as a y pipe, and much more material and labor ($$$), and heavier. IMO the extra weight will offset the couple hp gained.
Forgot to mention! I want to stick with the tailpipes exiting behind the front wheels. So i think the only option i'd have with that besides exiting straight out would be the X pipe. Even if the x pipe is possible im VERY limited on space.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
They manufacture them for the 2010 4.7L?
It's more of a "universal" part. You'd have to clamp or weld it in (most weld it in).

Forgot to mention! I want to stick with the tailpipes exiting behind the front wheels. So i think the only option i'd have with that besides exiting straight out would be the X pipe. Even if the x pipe is possible im VERY limited on space.
If you want the pipes to exit behind the front wheels an H pipe is probably the only crossover you could do, and honestly even then it's probably not real doable. Having the pipes exit behind the rear wheels, or just behind the doors is probably more likely and doable with an H or X pipe.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want the pipes to exit behind the front wheels an H pipe is probably the only crossover you could do, and honestly even then it's probably not real doable. Having the pipes exit behind the rear wheels, or just behind the doors is probably more likely and doable with an H or X pipe.
Ya i noticed that probably be a lot easier. But i wanted to do something that i Havent seen on a street vehicle:Wow1: but if its impossible. Then ill go with the exit in front of the rear wheels.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
You could get crazy like on the old LT-engine corvettes and do some weird exhaust routing(the manifolds actually faced the front of the vehicle, then the exhaust curved back around) but still don't know if there is enough room or any way to really do it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ha! That be WICKED. This weekend ill check out the spacing again and see what i have to play with. It probably generate a little more heat under the hood dont you think?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the idea though. They do sell the U turn arounds for that. They come in universal kits.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I'm wondering if there's any room to run the exhaust basically straight down, and have an H pipe under the engine/trans and then run them out behind the front tires. I don't think there is though....recalling from memory the cross member is in the way, and right behind that is the oil pan drain plug...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The cross beam sits a little back and i believe it is out of the way for what i had in mind. I wanted to run down from the cats just a little then angle and cross right away and head straight out behind the front tires. Left manifold exhaust exits the right of the truck and the right manifold exhaust exits the left of the truck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts