DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been workin on the truck all week long after work. I had removed my grille badge and color matched the backround and installed 3mm red led's for eyes. Finally got a chance to wire it up. :smileup: Who the hell enginered these dam trucks!! :doh: Had to remove the grille and headlamp to tap into the parking light wire.

I had been eyeing an aftermarket tail gate emblem that lights up since christmass. Bought the dam thing last Sunday. Installed it Wensday and hook up the wiring Thursday. Pretty simple install. It has a low illumanation, high illumanation, and directionals. Ran the wiring through the hole in tail gate along B/U camera wires and taped into the wiring for trailer lights. It comes on only when applying the brakes.

Changed my interior lights to green led's. I'm pretty happy, easy mod to do. The map lights are 921x9 wedge base.
Cargo I bought 2 festoon bulbs a 4410x9 in green and a 4210xHP12 in green.
The 12 is not very bright when installed because half of the led's are on the back side of the bulb. There are 4 rows of 3 led's. So really only using 6 at a time. The 9 led is wayyy better it has a row of 5 on top and 4 under the five facing front.

Reactions: scmedic09

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice setup. Great emblem work. Great ideas.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the props!! I seem to mod everything I own. Snowmobile, car & bike. Welcome to the addiction!!!! :doh:

dude thats nice, whered u find the illuminated emblem?
I got it at Auto Zone. It was 39.99 made by Reese the hitch co. I believe.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hmmmmm, how much power do you think those two diodes in the eyes of the Ram up front use??? I'm thinking next to nothing so you could just run them all the time. I already know where to get a driver circuit for it. I think Blue though because of the blue truck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probally nothing at all. What do you mean by a driver? They are the prewired 3mm w/resistor from our friends at superbright.com

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ahhhhh, hahaha. I have driver boards for a tube amp I am building to drive a couple LED's. They hook up to AC. I was going to get the appropriate circuit for the LED's on 12v. I have not looked at what SB offers.

I can see the diodes. What kind of resistor do i need to hook up to drop the voltage?

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Humm those red eyes look very familiar and you can use 5mm would just have to drill bigger holes and buy them from where he got them super fast shipping come pre wired and just tap into lights real easy still curious why those red eyes look familiar oh ya thats right

lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea man I stole the idea from you. I saw your thread somewhere. LOL. Where did you hook up the power wire? I taped into the DS parking light wire.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Tough D. I was thinking blue would look good with my blue truck. But red sure does look good.

I used the strip LED's. You can see pictures in my subject here or on my web page. Installation was not to difficult. I will be running my wires to the back for the back foot well lights this weekend.

Time to head to the car show now though. Nice sunny day. Mid 50's. Couple cigars in my pocket. Joy....

·
Registered
150 Posts
wow thats cool :smileup:
tailgate emblem would look nice on my truck.
front evileyes too but dont know what color. maybe bleu with the blue truck
where did you bought the illuminated emblem?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Matt I got the tail gate emblem at Auto Zone. It was 40 bucks.

Had some time today and installed 2 green 3mm led's in the d/s door panel. One under the door handle and one in the cubby hole under the door pull. We'll see how it looks when it gets dark out.
Thinking I am going to redo the wiring for the led's. It came out good but could be better.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ha, I could not make up my mind. So I purchased blue and red. I picked up the 5mm size. I think I will hold on the stop light which is way cool and save that cash for projectors.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Where are the pics of the door handles light up?!

I got 20 ft of LED "rope" and 50 individual LEDs in the mail right now and need ideas!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It did not come out the way I wanted, the inside door handle led shines on the headlight switch not really illumanating the pocket. The one under the door handle pull is not that bright. Time to re-engineer this. I have pics but can't upload them from the G/F's computer.
We are getting ready to head to the Howe cCaverns in NY. I'll post some pics later tonight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts