DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into a turbo for my 04 Ram HEMI. I have herd good thongs about Holset as they are the turbos used on our beloved Cummins motors. They are more in my price range then a Garret turbo would be. What I wanted to know is if it would be a good alternative? Has anyone ever put this turbo on their HEMI?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Nice build but all that work and no psi/rwhp/Q numbers....fail.

I've done some researching myself and I think a single (67mm or 71mm) turbo would be much simpler and cheaper. Talk to your builder or the turbo manufacturer to pick your A/R and you can build it spool for lowend power, top end or somewhere in the middle.

If you find out anything good keep us in the loop. Also, I think Autobred is doing or knows someone currently doing a twin turbo setup.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I've been doing a lot of researching before I start with a turbo build for my '07 (if I decide to go boost and not n/a). You need to seriously look at what kind of truck you want, whether it'll be a track truck, or a milder street-driven truck. If you want a street truck like me, then you want no less than a 70mm/T70 or T72 turbo with a .96ar exhaust to keep from boosting when in regular traffic. The stock engine can only handle 5-6psi boost as well.

A VGT turbo is great in theory, especially when it's properly tuned, but our trucks are extrememly picky when it come to boosting, and adding the VGT into the mix will be all kinds of nightmares for tuning.

I'll send you the info I scraped up in my searches and from picking the brains of others.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, I have looked at the STS Kits. They are great kits, it's just that I would like to build my own. Makes me feel different then everyone els out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ya, I have looked at the STS Kits. They are great kits, it's just that I would like to build my own. Makes me feel different then everyone els out there.
:smiley_thumbs_up: Exactly how I feel! I buy stuff all the time, just to tear it apart and make it my own.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Otherwise Ive seen a turbo set-up on this one website, its one of them rear mount, I think they are claming 125hp @ 6psi??? http://www.shophemi.com

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Otherwise Ive seen a turbo set-up on this one website, its one of them rear mount, I think they are claming 125hp @ 6psi??? http://www.shophemi.com
Yeh thats an STS kit i got quoted 5,200 for an STSkit with the tune intercooler and a dualstage boost controller. But that was with there base turbo with 7lb springs.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
STS also has a Facebook page i commented on there Phord Craptor build. http://www.facebook.com/#!/ststurbo1 They also sell universal kits so you could buy that and just make it your own way they are about a 3rd of the price from the bolt-on kits.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you want the honest truth, the actual brand or quality of turbo is way down the list on what makes a good setup. The piping layout, oiling system, fuel system, wastegate and blow-off valve selections, intercooler selection and piping, and most importantly the tuning have a 1000x more impact on how the truck will run. The turbo itself is also one of the cheapest pieces in the puzzle, so I discourage people from getting all excited after finding a $200 bargain bin turbo from someone's old tractor.

It isn't all that difficult to build a good setup with a little experience or with help from someone else that has. If you are a turbo virgin then I would recommend a kit like STS to get you started. I ran the STS kit for 3 years then finally built my own. It's not perfect, but my next version of the truck will be pro-grade race vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the brand of the turbo isn't important, then is the size ofr the turbos used in the youtube video good? I was wondering about Holset because I knew they were reliable. I need them to last and prreforme when they need to.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The video doesn't indicate anything, really. Diesel turbos are way too small for a smallblock V8, that's why he used two. Most of the time twin turbos are used because a large single can't physically fit, but is not a problem in a full size truck. With a stock size engine daily driver I would go with a journal bearing 67-70 trim turbo that will support 600-700hp and with a .96 a/r turbine housing.

My STS kit came with a t60-1 turbo rated to 500 hp and I ran a 12.30 with this setup. I now have a HP-72 ball-bearing unit rated to 850hp that I haven't been to the track with yet. (should have bought a PT-88 instead)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The turbos he is running in the video are 60mm turbos. They aren't small turbos. I was going to run twin because I don't have the stock exhaust, I'm running a true dual system with long tube headers. This is another reason that I would like to do a twin turbo setup. I do like the STS Kits, but they are a single turbo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From my research the Holset Turbos will spool up at a lower RPM, and give me the same if not better performance then other name brands, such as Garrett. They are also very easy and inexpensive to buy. I know that the band name and durability that comes with it counts. If it didn't then we would all be buying the $500 turbo kits on eBay, but we don't because they are going to break the first time you run down the track. I understand that the turbo isn't the most expensive part of the build, but it's one of the only moving pieces, and from my experience moving pieces will break more often then non-moving pieces.

·
Registered
1 Posts
help

how do i change my factory radio to at aftermarket one? my truck is a ram 1500 outdoorsman with the alpine sound system in it..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts