DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally worked up the guts to work on my exhaust. I was pretty worried after hearing about MDS drone, torque loss, and other issues caused by changing the exhaust.

However, with the help of some forum members, I decided to get an 18" Magnaflow muffler, 1 and 2 out. I also got the Magnaflow Y-Pipe. I don't think anyone else on the forum has done their exhaust exactly like this, and I thought it was a pretty good idea...

I had the guy at the muffler shop cut off the stock pipes right at the Cats, and run 2.5" pipes all the way to the new muffler, where they were joined together by the Y pipe. I think its the closest thing to a true dual exhaust without buying two mufflers and an x pipe.

I went with this setup for several reasons: I heard true duals cause low end torque loss, I think this is better than a cat back kit, and it was extremely cheap! :smileup:

I paid $116 for the muffler and Y pipe, and $162 for the labor and 2.5" pipes.

After driving it a bit, the sound is great! All that worrying about potential drone was useless! I can't even hear when my truck goes into MDS, it sounds the same as 8 cylinders! Its actually pretty quite, not much louder than stock.

One complaint I do have...my truck feels weak! I disconnected the negative battery cable a few minutes ago to reset the computer, and hopefully when I connect it and drive again it'll have more power.

I was gonna do a before and after video...but I ran into some uploading problems. Besides, it sounds just like any other Magnaflow! :LOL:

Picture time!!! :smileup:

Stock

New Pipes

Reactions: 916Timmy

·
Registered
23 Posts
looks good....love the look of new pipes

E

·
0 Posts
That looks great! Do you have a cold air intake on the truck? If not, start budgeting for one. That will match up well with the exhaust. More air in + more air out = more power.

When you do the reset, then drive...drive it like ya stole it!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I installed an aFe Stage 2 a week or two ago. I can't seem to find out how to make my mod list show up below my posts.

I'm really excited to drive it again...there's just something about modding my truck that makes me feel like I just barely got a brand new vehicle!

Now if only I could get a programmer...

E

·
0 Posts
You can add a link to your modlist or type out your modlist for your signature.

Just go to your User CP and click on Edit Signature. Then link to your mod list or put it in the text box, preview the signature then save it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had the same idea, for a new y-pipe, when I did my exhaust. Where's the vid? Im curious to hear it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks just like mine except your muffler is closer to the engine
Yes Timmy, I stole the idea from you :D however, mine doesn't have any single 3" pipe, cause the y pipe is welded right onto the muffler. So I have dual pipes the whole way through, but only one muffler.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After unplugging the negative battery cable, it runs a lot better. With a heavy foot I get 17.5 MPG mixed city and highway. My highway mileage is pretty bad though, it's like 18 or 19.

It sounds incredible...very incredible :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could have done a dual in dual out x-style muffler as well, that would be a cool setup!
I did some research on Magnaflow's website..it said that dual exhaust systems don't benefit a vehicle making less than 500 hp, and in some cases reduce low end torque. I figured I'd go the safer route, and save my money.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not to hijack, but is disconnecting the battery necessary after an intake and exhaust? I haven't noticed feeling "slow" or lacking in power...I just don't want to reset all my nav/radio settings as well if it's not a requirement.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only had to reset the time on mine, I don't have Nav :(

I'm pretty sure the computer would learn eventually to adjust the air/fuel ratio, but I didn't want to wait that long, and this way I can be sure it's adjusted properly.

What kind of exhaust/intake setup do you have on yours?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only had to reset the time on mine, I don't have Nav :(

I'm pretty sure the computer would learn eventually to adjust the air/fuel ratio, but I didn't want to wait that long, and this way I can be sure it's adjusted properly.

What kind of exhaust/intake setup do you have on yours?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thats a little too close to the gas tank for me i would put somthing on the tank to reflect the heat off that driverside pipe just for precautionary methods. Its hard to tell how cloes it is but if its less than a foot then i would take some action.

Also btw i drive thru Paris Tx everytime i go home to visit the folk down in Mineola hehe small world.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hadn't even thought about that, I just assumed it'd be okay since it's only a few inches closer to the gas tank than the stock setup. I'll have to check that out when I get home.

I know that town, I've done some work there! It sure is a small world!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hadn't even thought about that, I just assumed it'd be okay since it's only a few inches closer to the gas tank than the stock setup. I'll have to check that out when I get home.

I know that town, I've done some work there! It sure is a small world!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts