DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2010 Ram 1500 Sport. I was doing some engine dress and cleaning and decided I didn't like the way the stock engine cover looked...like a big piece of tupperware. So I researched on the internet and couldn't find anything to replace it with. I removed mine and painted it myself, never painted anything before. Here's how it turned out.

Here it is installed

All in all it ended up looking great and I learned alot about painting plastic while doing it. It was simple to remove and all I used was spray paint, masking tape, and a razor. For those of you who want something like this but don't want to do it yourselves I'll do it for $75. Removal of the engine cover does not affect drivability as far as I can tell. It's around 4 hours of work plus a full day with drying times included. I can do any color combination within the restraints of spray paint (no candy apple chameleon pearl, sorry). I wanted mine to still have a textured look but I can do smooth and shiny as well. If enough people are interested I'll buy and airbrush set. If you're interested send me a pm and we can work out what you want done. I'm a verified paypal member for 8 years. Thanks, hope you enjoy the pics!

Mods: If I've posted this in the wrong forum or if I'm breaching User agreement please let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you guys like it. I also did the fuse box cover and the dust cover over the radiator. K&N CAI is in the mail and I'm going to clear coat the filter box it comes with. Engine should look pretty damn clean afterwards. I'll post more pics when I get it all finished.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Very nice job, I'm thinking I have to do this to mine as well. Look forward to seeing the end results with yours!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
welcome to the forum! that looks great in shiny black! should do the lid for the airbox next! great job

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
:smileup:.....on the engine cover

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is an impressive engine bay Dodgert! I'm definitely going to need more practice to get something that nice. Could you tell me where you got the wrappings that are on all the hardline tubing??

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
That is an impressive engine bay Dodgert! I'm definitely going to need more practice to get something that nice. Could you tell me where you got the wrappings that are on all the hardline tubing??
Got it from autozone but believe theres a place on line that sells every color you can imagine even chrome

yep found it
http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is what you have to do next lol

The engine cover starts it then its mod fever looks great man keep up the mods
that red engine bay is SICK! i am most definitely going to do something similar, thanks for the pics

Kyle, how was the engine cover secured? im going to pull it tomorrow and get it painted along with my fender flares that just came in.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It doesn't get hot enough to need high temp paint does it? I would think if it did then the plastic would be melting too
No high temp paint needed. I used Duplicolor Perfect match on my '09 with great results (clear coat over the top as well).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts