DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm not the first, but I'll talk about it anyway.
I jacked it up by the pumpkin and put jack stands under the rear frame, then took the wheels off. I removed the lower shock bolts and started lowering the axle. I got to the point where the brake lines were almost taught and was just able to pry the springs off.
I cut 1.5 coils with an electric die grinder. The left and right have different part numbers. Here is the cut and uncut:

Before the rear was at almost 40":

After reassembly the rear is about 38":

Before:

After:

The carnage:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would say it dropped about 1.75", but will probably level out more since I only have 500 miles on it. I've had it for 8 days and haven't even been able to was it yet (obviously), due to it being 35F outside.

·
Registered
236 Posts
pretty dam good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
how did you even measure out how much you should cut off the spring??

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how did you even measure out how much you should cut off the spring??
I read a few other posts where they started at 1 coil and ended up doing more. Other than that, it was a guess.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just cut the rears. No issues at all. It can't be any different than if you put some cargo back there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For just dropping the rear I can't get over how much better the whole truck looks :smileup:. Thanks for posting up the pictures.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am tempted to do it with my 4X4 but don't know how it would affect my towing, I am afraid my boat would cause the rear to sit too low when I tow.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will be doing the same this weekend as long as the wife doesn't already have plans for me. Truck looks great i have the same exact model and wanted to lower the rear but didnt want to spend 400 on a 2/4 drop.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I did the same to mine and looks great. Just like you I didn't get a full 2" drop but it looks so much better, and free and easy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
now its time to fix the door badging that runs downhill. thanks for the info, i'm a lowrider guy at heart so cutting coils is no big thing. beats $400 for a kit or rear bags.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
On my list of things to do this weekend now that i see that!!! Thats awesome!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts