DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a 2007 dodge ram 1500 and was quick to get it lifted so I went to a "guy" who lifted trucks at his home. He placed a 4" spacer ontop of springs and a 3" spacer in the back to level the truck. He also did a 3" body lift. Now after taking it to my mechanic to install my new gears (went higher gear ratio after purchasing 38" tires on 20" wheel) he told me my cv axle was way too angled and would be a matter of time before I did some serious damagae. So he suggested I ordered a true lift kit. I ordered a 6" rough country and it's on its way. My question is, do I have to take the 4" spacer on top of the spring off or can I leave it? I really would want my truck to be level. Help please!!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
According to Rough Country the lift kit you ordered should lift and level. No need to keep the big spacers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on the other hand, if i did decide to keep the spacers, would it cause any trouble? The thought of my truck adding another 6" to what I already have is tempting but dont know much about lift kits, pretty new to the 4x4 scene.

·
Registered
159 Posts
on the other hand, if i did decide to keep the spacers, would it cause any trouble? The thought of my truck adding another 6" to what I already have is tempting but dont know much about lift kits, pretty new to the 4x4 scene.
u sure its a 4 in coil spacer? in theory you could however i believe the rc lift uses a block in the rear and you cannot double up blocks so your front would be 4 inches higher than the rear. i believe you can run bilstein 5100 level shocks with a lift kit to lift the rear higher. you could also use a add a leaf or lift shackle in the rear if you want even more lift. also what gears are u gonna run with the 38's. at least 4.56s i hope

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh ok, well the guy said it was a 4" in the front and 3" in the back but I haven't seen them personally. So you think it be best if i just took off the level and just use the rc kit? and yes i ordered 4:56s, I was going to go with 4:88 but the guy from summit racing said that would just kill my mpg

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have 2.5" spacers on the front of mine and the cv angle is about as much as I would go, IMO you should pull out the 4" spacers before you damage the shafts.

oh ok, thanks man. Did you find that in their website?
Yes, I looked up the 6" rough country lift for an 07 Ram and thats what it says.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have 2.5" spacers on the front of mine and the cv angle is about as much as I would go, IMO you should pull out the 4" spacers before you damage the shafts.

Yes, I looked up the 6" rough country lift for an 07 Ram and thats what it says.

i believe the rc lift kit comes with brackets to drop the front diff aswell as it has different knuckles. the cv angles will imrove with the lift. personally i would lift it with the spacers and before you get an alignment or anything put an angle protractor on the innver cv joint and check the angles and compare to factory spec. i think i read stock outer cvs are good till 39 degrees and inside ones 19 degrees i am probsbly wrong with my numbers so you will have to search.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
are you talking about lifting it with the spacers I already have? front or back? l I was reading up on the rc website, they provide 4" blocks for the rear, right now I have 3" blocks in the rear and 4" block on top of spring in front, so I was asking if i could leave both blocks on and do the lift that way, which would bring me up to 13" lift. But was told it's not possible or unsafe to do so. I'm just worried my tires wont fit, those tires n rims cost me a whole lot. This is the link to the lift i bought.
http://www.roughcountry.com/suspension/4wd-dodge/1500-ram_06-08_6.html

·
Registered
159 Posts
are you talking about lifting it with the spacers I already have? front or back? l I was reading up on the rc website, they provide 4" blocks for the rear, right now I have 3" blocks in the rear and 4" block on top of spring in front, so I was asking if i could leave both blocks on and do the lift that way, which would bring me up to 13" lift. But was told it's not possible or unsafe to do so. I'm just worried my tires wont fit, those tires n rims cost me a whole lot. This is the link to the lift i bought.
http://www.roughcountry.com/suspension/4wd-dodge/1500-ram_06-08_6.html
you can add the spacer you have for the front ontop of the rc lift you have. but on the back you cannot double up on the blocks. but you could use an add a leaf (2in)and a lift shackle (2in)with the 4in block from the rc lift. that would give you a total of 8 inches in the rear and 10 in the front

·
Registered
868 Posts
Instead of trying to stack blocks(bad idea IMO) add a body lift...Your suspension is the last place you want to rig things up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.