DODGE RAM FORUM banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sadly my 2012 is doing the same thing now. 173000 miles. But I can not afford a new motor like dodge says. I know it’s a lot of miles but can’t I just do a new camshaft???

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Depends on how far metal worked it’s way through the engine if it made it past the filter your bearings are then toast. Search for this issue ,you can have a clue when you speak with the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, 2016 Dodge Ram Big Horn 6 cyl. Just had this issue come up yesterday. All of a sudden felt like driving on rumble strips and the stuttering. Backed off and it went away, went to pass and it started again and got the check engine light. Thought bad gas like everyone else but took it in for a code read today and its the misfire cylinder 3 code. My 2016 has 132,000 miles on it and out of warranty. From those of you who have had the work done could I get a heads up on $$$
Hey ChemCop, did you ever get yours fixed? my 2012 big horn is doing the same. how much did you have to pay?

·
Registered
2012 Crew Cab SLT 4x4 5.7 Hemi
657 Posts
Was it maybe made in 2011? That's the year most of the affected trucks seem to be.
Dang… my ‘12 shows Mfg Date: 9/11 with 124,546!

need to look into this UOA you mentioned. And research proactive things I can do now. I need this to last another 5yrs at least.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So how much does this usually cost? My truck is started to get progressively worse so now it just sits there fixing on taking it to the dealer this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So how much does this usually cost? My truck is started to get progressively worse so now it just sits there fixing on taking it to the dealer this weekend.
Be prepared. My dealer was quoting me 600-1k to just find the issue. Took it away from them. Got an appointment for Monday elsewhere.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I never let my 5.7 idle longer than necessary... cam gets almost no lube while idling due to lifter/ pushrod design... and of course that big oil galley that is cast right under the cam blocking lube... why so many cop cars are sitting at dealerships getting new motors... this has been a issue for years that Chrysler refused to acknowledge....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds more like a tire balance issue of wheel berringissue from the way I read your post.
I am having the same issue but my truck starts shaking like driving on the rumble strips only at 70 mph. I drive it daily around town and have no issues it only happens when I try to get on the highway so you guys think it’s the cam as well like stated above?
I had a check engine light (misfire cyl 3) and mine would do the same thing. Under load, the engine would start bucking and chugging real bad. Let off and coast for a ways and the engine would smooth out. It's in the shop getting the lifters and cam replaced now. $5100!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts