DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all, I need some help here. I have an 2011 ram 1500 with the 5.7 with just shy of 190k miles on it. I’ve replaced all plugs. The coil on cylinder 3. And now all injectors and yet I’ve still have a misfire on cylinder 3. I am at a loss of what else to check on this damn thing. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,419 Posts
Are you hearing any clicking or ticking noises when the engine is running?
If you are, and maybe even if you aren't, a possibility with your engine is a collapsed lifter. There have been instances of the roller portion of the lifter, the part that rides on the camshaft, failing and subsequently wearing the cam lobe down. Usually there is a ticking noise that accompanies the failure, but not always.

A good test is to remove the valve cover on the side with the misfiring cylinder and, while cranking the engine with the starter, observing to see if the rocker movement on that cylinder is reduced as compared to the others.

Since it sounds like you have eliminated plugs, coil pack and injector, that might be the next place to look.

There are a lot of threads on this forum discussing this problem, some of them hundreds of posts long, and a good few videos on YouTube showing the test I just described.

Reactions: topgun

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you hearing any clicking or ticking noises when the engine is running?
If you are, and maybe even if you aren't, a possibility with your engine is a collapsed lifter. There have been instances of the roller portion of the lifter, the part that rides on the camshaft, failing and subsequently wearing the cam lobe down. Usually there is a ticking noise that accompanies the failure, but not always.

A good test is to remove the valve cover on the side with the misfiring cylinder and, while cranking the engine with the starter, observing to see if the rocker movement on that cylinder is reduced as compared to the others.

Since it sounds like you have eliminated plugs, coil pack and injector, that might be the next place to look.

There are a lot of threads on this forum discussing this problem, some of them hundreds of posts long, and a good few videos on YouTube showing the test I just described.
Yes I do have a significant ticking noise. I’ll do some more research on this and see what else I can come up with. Thanks a ton

1 - 3 of 3 Posts