DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So around two months ago I had check engine light for cylinder 5 misfire with the dreaded hemi tick. I pulled lifters and cams and sure enough lifter locked up and ate into cam. Didn't have a ton of money so I did everything myself, new cam and new lifter set for the affected cylinders. Of course new gaskets and head bolts. Had a mechanic help me set timing and button it all back up. Fired it up and intimidate misfire code on cylinder 4. Popped the valve cover off and saw both valves not moving while the rest operated normally. Changed the MDS solenoid for cylinder 4 and VVT solenoid. Still nothing, I have power at the harness for the solenoid so I think I can rule that out too. The pushrods are in the correct spots and nothing looks wrong. I am at a complete loss right now and about to take it to the dealer and pull out a second mortgage I guess.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I wonder if you got some trash in the oil passages and no oil flow to lifters. Personally if I would have done all that I probably would have done the delete thing.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Sure sounds like the pushrods are not on the lifter.
Are the pushrods moving at all?

If you take the rockers off and turn the motor over by hand, do the pushrod move then?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take the rockers off and take a look to make sure the pushrods are seated properly and go up and down when I turn the engine over manually.

Trying to research but I replaced the cam with a Melling MC1411 (MDS only), so I believe this is the correct part for my 2012. When we pulled the lifters I remember by buddy let them slip out of the holder and placed them back in, is it possible the lifters are in upside down? I thought they could go either way.

I'm not sure mechanically how the lifters collapse. Does the solenoid energize and they collapse hydraulically?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'll take the rockers off and take a look to make sure the pushrods are seated properly and go up and down when I turn the engine over manually.

Trying to research but I replaced the cam with a Melling MC1411 (MDS only), so I believe this is the correct part for my 2012. When we pulled the lifters I remember by buddy let them slip out of the holder and placed them back in, is it possible the lifters are in upside down? I thought they could go either way.

I'm not sure mechanically how the lifters collapse. Does the solenoid energize and they collapse hydraulically?
I believe there are different lifters for the front and rear of the engine. The lifters also have a different orientation where the oil is pumped into them. 2 face in one direction and the other 2 are the opposite. You said they slipped out of the holder. Perhaps they were put in backwards?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts