DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all so my truck either has a blown head gasket or a cracked head. Wont know wich until I tear the heads off and have them tested. At least she waited to do this until it was nice enough to bring the Firebird out of storage. I have already bought a complete upper fel pro gasket set from rock auto. I am thinking of starting the tear down today not sure yet though. I figured I would just post pics of the job as I go. I am not going to be in any real hurry as I dont really use the truck that much in the summer. Well shes apart though I have been looking into gasket matching, porting and pollishing and the kegger mod. So I am sure I will have many ?'s for you guys as I have never tore this far into a vehicle engine before and only learend of the kegger mod recently on here. I will mainly be using this thread for inspration
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=80084&highlight=keggar
which means I will be asking RAMING IT quite a few ?'s so I hope your watching this thread. I also looked into the plenum plate problem and depending on if I have to buy a new head or not will determin if I look into the alluminum plate or take others advice and just use washers or shorter bolts. So that is the plan. any other suggested things to look at or do since I will have the heads off?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And some of the truck before the tear down.

due to rain yesterday and in the forecast over the next week I did not start on the tear down yet since I will be doing this job outside. And I still need to decide if I am going to put the stock hood back on to keep water out or just buy a tarp and put over the hood to block the big hole in it.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
You can gain a bit of power without spending a lot of money by doing some basic porting and polishing with a dremel or similar. Gasket matching is a big plus too. In less than a day's worth of labor you can get it all done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so I finally got a weekend off of work and nice weather so I started tearing into the motor. only got one head off yesterday and will get the other one off today so I can get them tested. so here is some pics of the progress.

without the shaker

uderside of the kegger

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As you can see the passenger side head gasket was fine and the head looks ok. But my problem is on the driver side (cylinder 5) so will see what that looks like later today. Also now that I see how much of a hassle it was to get to the water pump I am going to do that well I am this far into the motor. Also there was a small hose from the top of the water pump to the kegger that is quite swollen so might as well replace that to. I think it’s called the bypass hose? Please correct me if I am wrong so I know what to ask for at the parts store.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and this is why we don't trust weather men

went out today and saw that it did rain

both heads off now

under side of the plenum plate

inside of the kegger

and the driver side gasket by cylinder 5 both sides off it.

takeing both heads in on monday though to get them tested just to be safe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:(well bad news back from the speed shop BOTH heads are cracked, in multiple places. So now I need to save up for some new ones. And now debating if I just pull the rest of the motor and do a bit of a rebuild on it any thoughts?

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
If it's high mileage it'd be a good idea. If it's not, then just get some good heads and finish the job. JMO. Now'd be a good time to get some aftermarket performance heads if you want to go that route :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so took some time this weekend to do some work on the truck that i could since i dont have funds for the new heads yet.

took out all the core support and everything with it

decided to do the timing chain since the evrything was already apart and good thing to there was a lot of play in the old one

after i cleaned up the timing chain cover

in primer

painted it cast alluminum and put new seal in it

after i cleaned the block i could see the numbers again

preped for paint, set the old heads and intake on so i did not have to tape the top end off

in primer

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
more in primer

decided to go with Chrysler engine red

with the timing cover back on really glad i went with alluminum and not the red

and at that point the only gasket that was not going to be replacet was the oil pan so i bought one and painted the pan gloss black

oil pan back on

harmonic ballancer back on

as you can tell by now i am going for a classic mopar look. I wasnt going to paint all of it but had no plans yesterday and got to thinking the new heads were going to make the rest of the engine look like shit so i decided to kill my saturday this way. Next weekend if i have the time i will tackel the keger mod and paint it. And a new water pump then start on the exhaust manifolds. Hoping it wont be much longer till i can afford the heads. As for now i really am glad with how it turned out :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love this thread! When I get back from Afghanistan, I plan on doing a 318 build on my truck. I'll do the same thing.:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
128 Posts
When I painted my engine red, in the garage it look red. But since my truck is red and after dropping it in, the engine looks more like chevy orange. Still looks good though!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love what ya doing. Nice clean look!!
I love this thread! When I get back from Afghanistan, I plan on doing a 318 build on my truck. I'll do the same thing.:smiley_thumbs_up:
thanks guys

When I painted my engine red, in the garage it look red. But since my truck is red and after dropping it in, the engine looks more like chevy orange. Still looks good though!
yeah i didnt like how orange it looked at first i had to double check the can to make sure i didnt buy chevy orange. But as the painted dried more turned out more red.

well here are some pics of the new water pump on, did it on tuesday.

as you can see compared to the before paint pics i also cleaned up the top of the pistons and cylinder walls.

And I am not going to be able to get anything done on the truck this weekend. There were some available hours to pick up this weekend so I took as many as they would give me. So with all the overtime hopefully i can get the heads with my next check. speed shop said ounce i pay for them and bring the old ones in for the core they should take about a week to get here.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I don't know if I missed it but what heads are you getting? Stock? Stock worked over? Aftermarket?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I don't know if I missed it but what heads are you getting? Stock? Stock worked over? Aftermarket?
no you didnt miss it. Cant remember the brand but they are after market, speed shop said its a better design over original they have thicker walls to help prevent the cracking that 5.9 heads are prone to. They come with everything right out of the box just bolt them on dont remember exact price but its going to be just under $800 for them.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts