DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 16 tooth 4.7 out of 2000 dakota to go in my 2002 dodge ram 1500. My question is what all has to be changed out on engine (manifolds, throttle body...etc.) so it will work in the Ram 1500? Thx in advance

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can only say from buying a 02 qc with 4.7 4x4 and later finding out that the engine came out of a dakota that I would not be lazy like my po and not swap over all your ram components like the manifold, a/c, alternator, and intake hardware etc. I found it to be very frustrating when going to replace parts as they failed because there are differences although i made it all work but not as easy as it should be.

and be sure to replace any ground straps before you drop in the new engine as there are some that mount to the back side of the heads and are dam near impossible to get to when in.

also dont be lazy and not swap over the oil dipstick tube my po was and i have to climb in and reach way down in to grab the dipstick to read it. i bought a new proper one for the engine but again its down on the backside so screwed have a new setup i cannot return nor install with the engine in...

manifold is same other than the pcv hose location on the backside this will prove to be a major pain the tail when trying to reconnect those hoses as the dakota, ram, durango, and grand cherokee 4.7 manifolds are all different in that aspect alone.

·
Registered
242 Posts
DO YOURSELF A FAVOR - All 4.7 engines older than 03 swap your intake manifold to a 03-07 version! the upto 2002 versions are the worst design and rob you of alot of power. best one to do is a 08-11 but requires a special bracket for the throttle body, but 03-07 is direct swap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts