DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just raced an eco boost off a light, 95% sure it was a 6 speed as well. The thing slowly pulled away from me. Bone stock crew cab and a girl driving to boot. Even with some minor bolt ons and 3.92 gears I can't hang. Sad to say but I think the new 10 speed 5.0 might be my next truck. I lost to them on the 1/4 every time as well. Wish there was a way to make these trucks quicker without dropping 10k+ on boosting it.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Just raced an eco boost off a light, 95% sure it was a 6 speed as well. The thing slowly pulled away from me. Bone stock crew cab and a girl driving to boot. Even with some minor bolt ons and 3.92 gears I can't hang. Sad to say but I think the new 10 speed 5.0 might be my next truck. I lost to them on the 1/4 every time as well. Wish there was a way to make these trucks quicker without dropping 10k+ on boosting it.
Driver mod LMAO :loser1:
Keep in mind that truck is lighter and boosted

I wouldn't even classify a Vararam & a throttle body as minor bolt-ons; is it even tuned? Bigger TB isn't gonna do much without 1. a corresponding need for the extra air and 2. a way to get that extra air out. As it sounds like you have stock exhaust (either completely or at least cat up) that isn't gonna happen. Vararam looks and sounds pretty, but that's what it was designed for. Need a good exhaust (full length, either headers up front or you can use SRT GC manifolds), a custom tune at least, even better with a cam and I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the ZF's can be tuned as well. From what I've read about just custom tunes on the 4th gens it significantly changes the nature of the truck.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
Unless it was a brand new one with the output well into the 400s you should walk him, his advantage is low end torque. When Motor Trend first tested the EB against the Hemi in 2011, the Ford pulled away at the start but once the Ram got going it stopped losing ground and that was with the 5 speed

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's got an Edge tuner and a Carven R series muffler without resonators as well. The muffler is like 6" long and completely straight through. I get that they're a bit lighter and boosted. They only have 365hp and 3.21 gears most likely. We didn't hit it until 40km/hr ish so it's not like she got a boosted launch on me because those things can launch hard in 4x4. I think I'll be ditching this tuner and going with the hemi fever or jay green tuning. Headers would be nice but they're over 2k easy in CAD pricing. Not to mention the install.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Unless it was a brand new one with the output well into the 400s you should walk him, his advantage is low end torque. When Motor Trend first tested the EB against the Hemi in 2011, the Ford pulled away at the start but once the Ram got going it stopped losing ground and that was with the 5 speed
If it was a brand new one it would have ran, not walked from him. I've driven an F150 with Eco-boost that was equipped similar to my truck and I can believe he loses to the Eco-boost.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
Is your REBEL a 4x4 ?

Fords 10 speed transmissions don't out preform the ZF 8 speed

Allpar articular 12/26/2017

Production of the 5.7 Hemi V8 was reportedly to stop in calendar year 2018, with a large stockpile of Hemis to last through to 2020, but this may not happen after all. We have had scattered reports of a turbocharged 5.7 Hemi which might replace or supplement the 392.

Gale Banks has a hand held tuner
http://www.bankspowerproducts.com/Banks-Power-66412-AutoMind-2-Programmer-p/66412.htm

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
If it was a brand new one it would have ran, not walked from him. I've driven an F150 with Eco-boost that was equipped similar to my truck and I can believe he loses to the Eco-boost.

Yes, like I said, the newer ones with the CGI blocks and 375/470 hp/tq will do that. The marginal 10 lb-ft edge the original aluminum block one had over the Hemi didn't make up for the fact it was deficient 30 hp. Its main benefit was how low in the RPM band it made power, but once a Hemi is up to 4000 RPM it will walk

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Yes, like I said, the newer ones with the CGI blocks and 375/470 hp/tq will do that. The marginal 10 lb-ft edge the original aluminum block one had over the Hemi didn't make up for the fact it was deficient 30 hp. Its main benefit was how low in the RPM band it made power, but once a Hemi is up to 4000 RPM it will walk
It may have had 30 less, but it still out performed them hemi with or without a load. When my truck was in the shop for a week and a half the 2015 F-150 was used to pull my 7000 lb TT and it did a better job then my truck did.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
Your elevation probably had a bit to do with that too

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was a 3.5 for sure. I've spent some time at the track and I've seen the new 10 speeds run very low 14's. A tuned 3.5 with the 6 speeds run mid 14's. I'm 3000ft above sea level for reference.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
3.5, but the older aluminum block, not the newer CGI ones

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you've got taller heavier tires on your truck that will slow you down too. As a previous Ecoboost owner I will say that that low RPM torque was a hoot but the Hemi sure sounds a hell of a lot better.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
The 3.5 is supposed to run good and it should be much easier to make more hp with a tune than with a naturally aspirated motor.

I didn't think the 5.0 ran as good as the 5.7 does though. Could be wrong as I am not a big Ford follower.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
The 3.5 is supposed to run good and it should be much easier to make more hp with a tune than with a naturally aspirated motor.

I didn't think the 5.0 ran as good as the 5.7 does though. Could be wrong as I am not a big Ford follower.

Yeah just like turbodiesels you can add boost with just a tune, that gets you a lot of power potentially. NA engines like the Hemi can only be tuned to adjust fuel and shift maps and reduce torque management. With the turbo you can do that too, plus more.

I wouldn't tune an EB though; the common denominator among everyone with a perforated EB block seems to be a tune

·
Registered
998 Posts
My wife drives a '17 F150 3.5 EB, and it'll run circles around my truck. We've raced them several times, actually. It also pulls the boat considerably better. Both trucks are 100% bone stock.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I wonder how much better our Rams would run if there was no torque management and a cable actuated throttle body - or at least one that responds like a cable actuated throttle body would.

The big question I worried about with the Ecoboost is long term durability and valve deposit issues.
Durability with extended long distance towing especially.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I wonder how much better our Rams would run if there was no torque management and a cable actuated throttle body - or at least one that responds like a cable actuated throttle body would.

The big question I worried about with the Ecoboost is long term durability and valve deposit issues.
Durability with extended long distance towing especially.
My boss has an older F150 with the Eco-boost that had been tuned. He's had no durability problems with it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Want to make it fair? Nitrous is cheap. If you have a QC or CC Ram, 1 or 2 bottles easily fit under the back seat. A 100 hp shot will wake up your hemi, a 150 shot if you dyno tune and maybe run some race gas. I didn't buy a Ram because it was the fastest, bought it because it's the best truck. 275,000+ miles, I still feel that way. Lots of nitrous.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts