DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When fall set in I started to get a very sporadic issue with the gauge lights on the premium dash on my Sport. The first time the issue occurred was during the first day below 20 degrees, however the issue doesn't always occur when its cold.

I usually dim my dash lights down about half way, and the dash lights would flicker or completely go out at times. If I brought the brightness up, the issue would resolve itself. I saw several threads about 13's having this issue, however the solution was to replace the cluster. The issue was supposed to have been resolved in late 2013. Rather than having the dealer rip apart my truck that already rattles, I decided to see if I could just live with the issue for as long as possible.

I went for about 3k miles without the issue reoccurring, however tonight the issue returned. I did one more Google search and found a thread on another forum regarding the fuses in the newer Rams being loose. Sure enough, all of the fuses in my fuse box weren't fully seated. I seated them all and now the dash has returned to normal, but because the issue is so sporadic I don't want to call it as fixed to soon. Figured I would let everyone know though, as I went and checked my sister's 14 Express and those fuses weren't as loose but still could be seated further as well.

Here's a video I shot of seating them:
http://youtu.be/l68thxvy-uc

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is good to know as my 14 wagon did this and it was directly tied to the accelerator pedal. I took it to the dealer and they were baffled, as it would do it just parked and revving the engine.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have the same issue... mine is a lot more often than yours (about once every 2-3 days).. I'll have to check mine and see if this helps.

·
Registered
196 Posts
This is on my list for the dealer to address. Mine occurs about once an hour.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious, what dealer did you purchase this Ram from?
I purchase it from Lynch Chrysler out in East Troy.

The Express came from Griffins Hub on 27th.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My cluster flickers when it is set to minimum brightness however it seems to be random. I checked the fuses and every single one clicked as I seated the fuses. I will check it out and see if it fixed the flickering issue.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
My cluster flickers when it is set to minimum brightness however it seems to be random. I checked the fuses and every single one clicked as I seated the fuses. I will check it out and see if it fixed the flickering issue.
Mine too, I turned the brightness up a bit and it disappered. All my fuses are seated as I did this when I got my truck.
Only happened once so far. Will keep a eye on it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about the fuses. I'll have to check them later today when I get a chance.

·
Registered
862 Posts
All my fuses clicked into place when I pushed on them.. So far, I'm not too hopeful on this being a fix since immediately afterwards, they would still pulsate on the lowest setting.. Not as bad as they normally flicker but the severity also varies... So i'll give it a day or two and see if there is any difference..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All my fuses clicked into place when I pushed on them.. So far, I'm not too hopeful on this being a fix since immediately afterwards, they would still pulsate on the lowest setting.. Not as bad as they normally flicker but the severity also varies... So i'll give it a day or two and see if there is any difference..
I did notice with mine immediately that there was a faint pulse at the lowest setting. However, it wasn't completely flickering on and off anymore.

It is noteworthy to mention that F84 and F88 are the fuses for the dash.

I didn't realize this many people were having issues with there dash lights. There was a recall in 2013 for the dashes but I had figured they resolved the issue for the 2014 trucks and I just got lucky. Has anyone taken their truck to the dealer for this issue?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I did notice with mine immediately that there was a faint pulse at the lowest setting. However, it wasn't completely flickering on and off anymore.

It is noteworthy to mention that F84 and F88 are the fuses for the dash.

I didn't realize this many people were having issues with there dash lights. There was a recall in 2013 for the dashes but I had figured they resolved the issue for the 2014 trucks and I just got lucky. Has anyone taken their truck to the dealer for this issue?
Going in on Tues. for this and a few other things.

·
Registered
247 Posts
After trying this yesterday and starting the truck today, I now have a abs and track control light on with a service abs brakes message. Not sure if it's coincidence or not. Weird for sure. Checked all the abs fuses and they are fine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine has been back twice since the original post. I couldn't replicate it for the dealer last time I had it in, and of course I can't find any way to replicate the issue. It has happened when really cold, when warm, after running for an hour, and right at first startup. There seems to be no consistency to the issue.

Any update from someone who was able to replicate it for their dealer?

·
Registered
15 Posts
took into dealer again so they could investigate. I guess dodge is gathering data on this problem. As of now there is no available fix, but definitely temperature related. The colder it gets the worse it gets. Dealer said it has to do with the diodes. They found other trucks in the lot doing the same thing. As for now no fix, dodge will have to buy back the truck eventually I guess or fix it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
took into dealer again so they could investigate. I guess dodge is gathering data on this problem. As of now there is no available fix, but definitely temperature related. The colder it gets the worse it gets. Dealer said it has to do with the diodes. They found other trucks in the lot doing the same thing. As for now no fix, dodge will have to buy back the truck eventually I guess or fix it.
Thanks for the info, ne1lost. I'm happy to hear that Ram is at least admitting they have an issue. I still have trouble replicating mine, even on the coldest days. In fact, last time it happened, it as above 32 degrees. Hoping they can issue a resolution soon. Unfortunately a buy back on this issue wouldn't do much since a new Ram is likely to have the same problem.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thanks for the info, ne1lost. I'm happy to hear that Ram is at least admitting they have an issue. I still have trouble replicating mine, even on the coldest days. In fact, last time it happened, it as above 32 degrees. Hoping they can issue a resolution soon. Unfortunately a buy back on this issue wouldn't do much since a new Ram is likely to have the same problem.

Kind of off topic, but if you think you're going to get a dealer buy back over an occasional flickering dash light you're in for a surprise. And yes I have the issue as well.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts