DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys anyone else have any idea what's going on with my truck?

The power outlet on the dash turns on and lights up, but roughly 3 seconds after turning it on it turns back off every single time!

It can't be a fuse issue can it? Because it turns on and lights up every time i press the button

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to check/replace the fuse since they're pretty cheap. I'm not entirely sure how yours works, but on my truck it turns on automatically when something is plugged in (so there's no dash button), and will automatically turn off if its overloaded whether or not it blows the fuse (which may also happen if its overloaded but not necessarily). Other than that I'd say its probably a wiring issue.

What are you plugging into it?

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
If you are plugging into the cigarette forward most lighter socket & that is what is the power source that you are referring to
it is not suppose to be used to charge cell phones, it will trip the breaker
the other cigarette lighter socket in the seat console is always alive or HOT & it won't trip the breaker

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've never used mine but I think it's limited to 150 watts which is around 1.25 amps. Check your charger specs and see if you have exceeded the very small output of the outlet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah idk the fuses seem to be okay and the dealer wants me to take the truck in but I really don't feel like getting rammed for a couple hundred dollars over some stupid electrical bull.

Anybody know exactly which 20 amp fuse is for the AC outlet?

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
There should be a diagram of the fuse box layout and a list of fuses towards the back of your manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 dodge ram 2500

Power steering problems. Put new type pump. Making same noise.I was told the pump that came on it was being replaced with a better pump you need new tank and bracket. I bought all apparently it had already been changed because tank and bracket was the same.Any way new pump is making same noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
noisey dodge

Power steering problems. Put new type pump. Making same noise.I was told the pump that came on it was being replaced with a better pump you need new tank and bracket. I bought all apparently it had already been changed because tank and bracket was the same.Any way new pump is making same noise.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i checked that one and it was okay. Every 20A fuse that i checked seemed to be okay.

So idk i'm at a loss. every single time the outlet turns on for a few seconds and then shuts off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, that's exactly what mine did. There must be something that senses if the outlet is getting 110 V and if it isn't it shuts it off. Maybe there's an issue with your inverter.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you guys aren't reading my posts properly.

The only thing i've ever use the AC outlet for was basic wall cell phone chargers and my truck has never had a problem in the past year with running any of those.

But now not only does it stay turned on for any phone chargers.. but it doesn't stay turned on when NOTHING is plugged into it at all...hope that clears up any confusion for any of you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts