DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my mom has an 01 dodge ram SLT Laramie and her dash is cracking into many pieces. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's a very common problem. I had a 99 ram 1500 with the dark interior package and the dash cracked and fell apart as well; to the point were I had large holes where I'd lose things in. Haha my other ram has the lighter interior package and hasn't had the problem as bad as the dark interior package. I read somewhere that it had a lot to do with the amount of carbon used in the manufacturing process.

LMC truck makes a replacement dash (for all interior packages) for a very reasonable price

·
Registered
78 Posts
It sounds like the '97 and older, you have to pull the whole dash to get the top off, but the '98 and newer the dash pad can just be unscrewed and replaced. Anyone know if this is true? I'd like to put in the replacement dash from LMC.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
There's more to it then that there are bolts in fire wall and knee bulsters steering collom,air bag on pass side must come out. I've been looking into it for my 01. 98 to 01 are same dash set ups.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Now if dash is just cracked andnot missing pices like mine id go with dash cap idea there would be no need to pull air bag or any of the other isht. Mine is missing a big pice in middle though they say you can still use a cap on them holes and all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you go with a cap, make sure the installer really cleans the dash first, and uses plenty of silicon over the contact areas. Also, once you set the cap, and are waiting for the silicone to dry, you will want to have some pressure on the cap, holding it against the dash. You can use some small towels or dish rags to wedge in between the windshield and the cap.

If you don't do this, you will most likely have a lot of rattles.

Someone installed a cap on mine before I bought it. I'm very surprised at how good it looks. It looks like a normal dash. Unfortunately the installer did not do a very good job with the silicone, but I've been able to squeeze some silicone in the problem areas, and it rattles only a bit now.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
There are truble spots with caps the edge is one of them

·
Registered
16 Posts
dash replacement

it's a very common problem and had to do with the manufacturing process like others have already posted. the dash on my '99 Ram was already cracked and broken when i removed it to replace the evaporator to fix an AC problem. i shopped salvage yards and bought a "like-new" dash including the sub-frame, trim pieces, ashtray, cup-holder, and glove box for $275 shipped. it took me about 10 hours to remove the entire dash and replace the evaporator and about the same time to reinstall it...

if i had only wanted to replace the top dash panel i would've still had to remove the entire dash because there are screws holding it in place underneath. if you decide to go that route i'd recommend taking pictures, labeling everything (esp. the wiring), and keeping all the parts/screws together for each particular section.

here's a couple sites to check for parts:
http://www.uneedapart.com/
http://www.partszoneonline.com/index.php

if you can't find what you need from a salvage yard you might be able to buy an after-market top dash panel or you could install a dash pad (cheaper & easier) over the top of you're existing dash...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts