DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab come with LED Daytime Running Lights? It looks like they're on the vehicle, but they only light up Amber when the regular headlights are on, as if they're the parking lights. Is it something that can be programmed...to have them light up white when the headlights are off?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=216044

This is the easiest way to get them done. They are amber only. If you want white you would have to open them up and install new drivers :p. Pricey...

It is possible to have the dealer program DRL's into your truck but people have had mixed success getting this done, hence the thread above. No need to cut factory wires, just have to tap into them :)

Good luck

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=216044

This is the easiest way to get them done. They are amber only. If you want white you would have to open them up and install new drivers :p. Pricey...

It is possible to have the dealer program DRL's into your truck but people have had mixed success getting this done, hence the thread above. No need to cut factory wires, just have to tap into them :)

Good luck
Hey hey that's my thread!! :LOL:

Just to update that, my DRLs are still functioning fine with no issues what-so-ever. If you're good with having the amber DRLs, then I'd definitely go the route that my threat states. I think the amber DRLs make the RAMs stick out as opposed to Chevy and other makes with the white DRLs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Has anyone done some aftermarket daytime running lights on the Ram? Id prefer something that looks nice but not just bolted on. Id rather not open the existing lights. Where could they be mounted?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wanted to get my drl s activated in my truck but I spoke with a buddy of mike that's a machanic at dodge and he said he could do it but If the led burns out from all the extra run time they are really expensive to replace down the road...I decided against it

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I wanted to get my drl s activated in my truck but I spoke with a buddy of mike that's a machanic at dodge and he said he could do it but If the led burns out from all the extra run time they are really expensive to replace down the road...I decided against it
They are law`s in Canada and in some States to have DRL. They draw very little current and a lifespan of approx. 50,000 hours. That would be about 14 years driving 10 hours a day. I think the amber ones are the coolest ones out there

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,441 Posts
I had my amber led drls turned on they look great and stand out. Love them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
They are law`s in Canada and in some States to have DRL. They draw very little current and a lifespan of approx. 50,000 hours. That would be about 14 years driving 10 hours a day. I think the amber ones are the coolest ones out there
I'm pretty sure here in Canada they are required right across the country? They definitely are where I am. In the states, I think it is state-specific, as mentioned on a previous thread. I definitely love the look of the ambers and glad that they are required here:)

·
Super Moderator
34,746 Posts
I'm pretty sure here in Canada they are required right across the country? They definitely are where I am. In the states, I think it is state-specific, as mentioned on a previous thread. I definitely love the look of the ambers and glad that they are required here:)
There are no states that require DRLs. If you have them you can usually get a discount on your insurance. Also most states require you to have your lights on when your wipers are on, but TBH if you are driving around in the rain with your lights off you are an idiot.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Has anyone done some aftermarket daytime running lights on the Ram? Id prefer something that looks nice but not just bolted on. Id rather not open the existing lights. Where could they be mounted?
I couldn't get DRL's activated on my truck so I added a set of the cheap stick-on LED strips to my lights; I tapped a wire that is only hot with the ignition on and stuck them to the vertical portion of the light housing that runs along the grille. They aren't super bright, but brighter ones can be had, especially if you shop online.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I couldn't get DRL's activated on my truck so I added a set of the cheap stick-on LED strips to my lights; I tapped a wire that is only hot with the ignition on and stuck them to the vertical portion of the light housing that runs along the grille. They aren't super bright, but brighter ones can be had, especially if you shop online.

Any photos with them on and off?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
You don't have to open the lights to enable DRL's. Just tap into some wires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had mine activated. Had to go to two dealers to get one to follow the instructions. After they did it they came out and said they activated the function it did not work. I then explained to them that the truck must be in gear and the emergency break off. I too like the amber color.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I had mine activated. Had to go to two dealers to get one to follow the instructions. After they did it they came out and said they activated the function it did not work. I then explained to them that the truck must be in gear and the emergency break off. I too like the amber color.
I see your truck is a 2014. The 2016+ models no longer have the sales code in the system to enable the amber DRLs. SOME say it can be done but good luck finding a dealer who is willing to take the time to figure it out. The DRL-1 module works just fine for me.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,441 Posts
I see your truck is a 2014. The 2016+ models no longer have the sales code in the system to enable the amber DRLs. SOME say it can be done but good luck finding a dealer who is willing to take the time to figure it out. The DRL-1 module works just fine for me.
That's not true. I've seen it said several times here but you can get the 16 -17 activated just like I did to my 13. The procedure is the same you just have to find a dealer who knows what they're doing. I question everything I read on the internet.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
That is true, the code is not in the system, all the dealer has to do is talk to district manager and they will have code added to your vin.
You may have to pay for the service

·
Registered
212 Posts
That is true, the code is not in the system, all the dealer has to do is talk to district manager and they will have code added to your vin.
You may have to pay for the service
Man I'm glad I live in Canada .... LOVE the amber DRL's :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,483 Posts
Guess I was spoiled by my last truck? Thinking that all vehicles had DRLs I told my insurance company I had them when I bought the truck 3 weeks ago. Only to find out later, they were not an option on the Big Horn trim package?

It really makes me wonder WHY it wouldn't just be standard on all the 1500 trim packages?

Anyway, so I what I'm gathering from the comments posted here on this site, the DRLs have to be programmed into the computer system, by the dealer. I'll make a call later today, to get this done. Thanx...

1 - 20 of 67 Posts