DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to start the truck this afternoon to move it and it would barely tour over but it did start. I moved it and then tried to restart it. Same result...so i broke out a 6 amp charger and it showed a full charge about 3 hours later. I thought that was weird 'cause I would think it would take a lot longer than that. Anyway it struggled to start but it did start. Barely started 2 more times and then nothing. I'm guessing the battery is shot. Given the milage and it's a 2017 is it going to be covered by warrantee or am I going to have to buy a battery?
Thanks,

·
Registered
775 Posts
Went out to start the truck this afternoon to move it and it would barely tour over but it did start. I moved it and then tried to restart it. Same result...so i broke out a 6 amp charger and it showed a full charge about 3 hours later. I thought that was weird 'cause I would think it would take a lot longer than that. Anyway it struggled to start but it did start. Barely started 2 more times and then nothing. I'm guessing the battery is shot. Given the milage and it's a 2017 is it going to be covered by warrantee or am I going to have to buy a battery?
Thanks,
Check the battery warranty as it is different than the truck.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Take it to your local battery store, like Firestone, they handle most battery brands
They can check out your battery & check your alternator output, without making you wait forever at the dealership

The dealerships don't normally take care of battery or tire warranties
If it turns out that the alternator is bad, then take it to the dealership so that it is covered under your FCA warranty

FCA can not void a warranty if a repair is done by a ASE CERTIFIED Technician or when the work is done by a shop that carries the Blue Seal , your dealership has the Blue Seal posted somewhere, usually on the building next to the Service Dept.

Notice the Blue Seal on the Firestone Sign & on the employees shirt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I just read the warrantee and it's fairly ambiguous. I made an apt via internet when this happened this afternoon. It's not until 3 p/m tomorrow. i'm going to call them first thing in the a/m and see if they will look at it right away. Sure don't feel like shucking out $175 for a battery for an almost new truck.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah that's surprising, do you take a lot of short trips?

My truck still has the original battery more then 5 years and 81,000 miles later

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,593 Posts
Normally, I would suggest to check for corrosion on the battery terminals. But your truck is pretty new for that to happen. It'll be interesting to hear what the dealer has to say about your issue. Good luck with getting it figured out. Please let us know...

·
Registered
366 Posts
same issue with my 2016. Went back to dealership last july and they took care of it. They said it was a bad cell.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
A dead battery has nothing to do with mileage. I typically find that a battery lasts longer the more I drive the car or truck. My daily driver Ram has never had any battery issues, while my Corvette which sits parked in the garage most of the time will have battery issues if I don't keep it on a battery tender.

If your truck is a daily driver, chances are the battery could of been damaged at some point, shorting its life expectancy and causing premature failure. Many dealerships are guilty of damaging batteries before the car is even purchased. If the car sat at the dealership for an extended period of time and/or in the showroom, the battery could of been drained below safe levels. The dealership usually just put a charger on it and act as though its as good as new, but if the battery was drained below a certain voltage it will have an effect on the performance and life expectancy of the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

Well, good news. I called the dealer this morning and they said to bring it right in. After being on the charger all night it wouldn't even turn over once. I jumped it of my Miata. Anyway, pulled into the dealer, left it running and went inside to let them know I was there and the truck was running. They said no problem, we'll get right on it. I told them I'll just walk next door and have breakfast. Ate breakfast and walked into the service dept and my truck had a new battery at NO CHARGE!!! I must say that every time I have been in that dealership I have left happy...which for me is highly unusual.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Glad everything worked out & didn't cost anything but some time & some inconvenience

By the way, batteries are pro-rated, same as brand name tires
You would not have to pay full price for any brand name battery as long as the battery is less than 3 years old

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,593 Posts
Glad to hear they fixed it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had the same issue with an 2005 Silverado when it was only a year old. AAA came out and couldnt get it started either, had them tow it to the dealership. It was the battery and covered under the warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks,

It's not the battery! Ram's are notorious for starter solenoid going bad. I've had this happen twice now. 2007 Ram 1500 Hemi. Had to replace the starter!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts