DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had this happen on my 2012 so may not apply. Turning on cruise control was intermittent. To fix it the dealer had to replace the steering wheel switch (56046094-AF) then also found that a steering angle sensor (68050845-AB) had also failed so it took two parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2014 with cruse control...which works sometimes. Mostly not. I took it to the shop and they wanted $1200 to fix it. That sounded more than outrageous. Anyone have any idea of how to fix this ?
One thing I would consider is cruise controls operate off of the rotational speed of the crankshaft in the trucks final gear ratio. Perhaps a crank sensor is bad which interferes with the ability to set your cruise control at times. In other words, sometimes the sensor works and sometimes it doesn't. Just a theory bouncing around in my head.
Thanks. I took mine in about a year ago for the recall. I was told that what they needed to fix was not what was wrong with mine...then they hit me with the $1200 fix-it cost.
So then, what did they do for the $1200? Was it all labor to find the problem or was it a faulty part that was expensive as hell?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2014 with cruse control...which works sometimes. Mostly not. I took it to the shop and they wanted $1200 to fix it. That sounded more than outrageous. Anyone have any idea of how to fix this ?
I have 2013 Ram and mine will quite working sometimes also, what I do to fix is on the steering wheel controls on right side is gear- & gear+, with vehicle in park hold both buttons in at same time for a few seconds seems to fix mine whenever mine quits working.

·
Registered
2014 Bighorn 3.6 Pentastar
144 Posts
December trip to the great north woods for ice fishing, cruise control would not engage then it would.
Dealer replaced the steering wheel switch under the extended warranty. $100 later all is good.

·
Registered
616 Posts
One thing I would consider is cruise controls operate off of the rotational speed of the crankshaft in the trucks final gear ratio. Perhaps a crank sensor is bad which interferes with the ability to set your cruise control at times. In other words, sometimes the sensor works and sometimes it doesn't. Just a theory bouncing around in my head.

So then, what did they do for the $1200? Was it all labor to find the problem or was it a faulty part that was expensive as hell?
Cruise used to get signal from the driveshaft,I believe it still does as I can down shift ,cruise remains on and rpms increase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had this problem too. Cruise control would often not turn on. After reading on the forum, tried the single sharp swack to the back of the steering wheel - no problem since. This does suggest an issue with either a connection or a switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had same issue a couple of months ago. Dealer had to install a new cruise control switch on the steering column. $609. Apparently the tilt wheel steering column bends the wire enough times until it is not a reliable connection. Had a '85 Caballero that had the same problem about 3 times. Each time it cost $116 to fix

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2015 Outdoorsman was doing the same thing.
pish the cruise button and sometimes the cruise was ready to set. Sometimes pushing the on-off button had no effect.
If this describes your issue, here is the fix I found on another thread on this site.
Flick the button hard- like you would flick a bug off your table.
Alternately, some owners use a karate chop to the switch.
Either way works to unstick the on/off button for me. And it’s free.
Good Luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

They were going to fix it for the $1200...I declined, thinking there must be a better way.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts