DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is just at 60K, and I brought it in to get recall taken care of. I had them investigate a very light clunk in the front end that I started noticing 6 months ago. It is very slight, in the steering wheel, mostly at low speed and over uneven ground. My first instinct was that it was a bad sway bar end link, but figured while it was there the dealership could diagnose and let me know what i can go home and fix myself.

The master tech comes back and says that it is not the sway bar links. It's actually the rack. Something internally has "loosened" where the shaft enters the rack. This is the electronic assist power steering rack. Cost to replace $2800, and that includes the alignment. I asked what kind of warranty that comes with and he said 2 years.

Anyone else have this issue or a bad rack? I am going to crawl under the truck tomorrow to look it over, but doubt this is a job i can take on at the moment. Just wondering if this is more of a problem. I did not come up with much info so far.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Thanks for this post as I am having the dealer investigate a clunk on my 2017 that I get sometimes when hitting a pothole or bump like the curb on a driveway. My steering wheel was off center also and they adjusted it, but now wondering if it is related to the electric power steering unit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The power steering seems to be working just fine. The clunk is most prominent at low speeds. Highway speed you can feel it if you really focus on it.
Wheels seems properly centered. I know there is either 1 or 2 intermediate shafts that go from the steering column to the rack. They are far cheaper. I know the mechanic was rushing in his diagnosis, so I dont know if they ever got it up on the lift to inspect or if it was just from him taking it for a ride.
Does anyone know how hard of a job it is to replace the racks, or what AllData quotes as the time it takes for a repair? If i have to replace it i just want to make sure i get a fair quote.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
let us know how you fix it

I do have a small clunck I can feel at low speed if I turn the steering wheel,.. that I never could pin point what it was...

it happens like when I arrive at home at low speed,.. and steer to go in direction of the middle of road to back up in my driveway

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same clunking noise, plus a leak

The power steering seems to be working just fine. The clunk is most prominent at low speeds. Highway speed you can feel it if you really focus on it.
Wheels seems properly centered. I know there is either 1 or 2 intermediate shafts that go from the steering column to the rack. They are far cheaper. I know the mechanic was rushing in his diagnosis, so I dont know if they ever got it up on the lift to inspect or if it was just from him taking it for a ride.
Does anyone know how hard of a job it is to replace the racks, or what AllData quotes as the time it takes for a repair? If i have to replace it i just want to make sure i get a fair quote.

I started noticing the clunk also about 6 months ago. Then about 1 month ago i started noticing red fluid under where I park. It started as just a drip here and there, but gradually increased to a little puddle each night. Been meaning to get to it and got busy with summer and whatever... Anyway, I found the part on mopar.com for ~$1,700, ebay for ~1,400 for a refurb and rockauto hasn't had it in stock since I started looking around. I was really hoping to fix it rather than replace it, but I'm not really sure there's another option. I don't know how hard a job it is, but will let you know after I do it!

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
If my Ram was out of the Warranty period & had any issue similar to yours, i would find a Alignment Shop that was A.S.E. Certified.
Normally you will find a Coupon or Special for a Inspection
I go to a ASE, AAA, BBB Certified shop that is used by all the Hot Rodders & Off Roaders in the area

·
Registered
667 Posts
That's the reason....................

I traded my 2005 Dodge Dakota. I was on my 3rd R&P. The last one they put in it was an after market which they said would last a lot longer. At that time it was $1K. :smiledown:

No problems on my 2011 yet (50K miles) , but it's always on my mind...... :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but, would a maxcare extended warranty cover this?

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
I traded my 2005 Dodge Dakota. I was on my 3rd R&P. The last one they put in it was an after market which they said would last a lot longer. At that time it was $1K.

FWIW 2011s use hydraulic power steering. On 2013 and newer 1500s its electric.

No problems on my 2011 yet (50K miles) , but it's always on my mind......
Correct me if I'm wrong but, would a maxcare extended warranty cover this?
I think it would

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
. . .Then about 1 month ago i started noticing red fluid under where I park. It started as just a drip here and there, but gradually increased to a little puddle each night. . . .
The red fluid is not coming from your power steering rack since yours is electric if you have a 1500 Bighorn per your profile.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
The Maximum Care Extended Warranty covers everything mechanical
It doesn't cover Brakes, Hoses, Tires, & Plastic & Fabric Parts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I thought it would be covered, thanks for the reassurance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Truck is just at 60K, and I brought it in to get recall taken care of. I had them investigate a very light clunk in the front end that I started noticing 6 months ago. It is very slight, in the steering wheel, mostly at low speed and over uneven ground. My first instinct was that it was a bad sway bar end link, but figured while it was there the dealership could diagnose and let me know what i can go home and fix myself.

The master tech comes back and says that it is not the sway bar links. It's actually the rack. Something internally has "loosened" where the shaft enters the rack. This is the electronic assist power steering rack. Cost to replace $2800, and that includes the alignment. I asked what kind of warranty that comes with and he said 2 years.

Anyone else have this issue or a bad rack? I am going to crawl under the truck tomorrow to look it over, but doubt this is a job i can take on at the moment. Just wondering if this is more of a problem. I did not come up with much info so far.
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and I have exactly the same issue. Truck has 140,000km's and every time I go over a bump, uneven terrain or turn the wheels at low speeds I get a very annoying clunk. Ram dealer advised it is likely the rack that needs to be replaced, though they are not 100% certain. Part is $2,200 CDN plus labour to install.

Did you eventually replace the rack and did that fix the issue?

Thanks for any updates!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts