DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taking their Ram to the dealer to have the fluid/filter replaced? If so, how much did it run you? I know the service manual says it's a lifetime fill, but i don't buy it. I'm sure I'm capable of doing it myself, i'm just concerned about getting the fluid level correct. Especially when the manual says to hook it up to a computer to check the proper level.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Wait until you have at least 60,000 miles on it, before you even consider it

Also read up about an after market transmission pan for it

The stock pan has the filter permanently attached, to change the filter you have to change the pan $$$

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I did it myself, I have seen anywhere from $800 to $1100 for a filter and fluid change. If you go by ZF's recommendation they do recommend a change interval and they are the ones who designed and in my case built the transmission. According to Chrysler the "lifetime" fill is good for 100,000 miles, but even the manual says to do it earlier if used for frequent towing or off road use.

The main issue is the fluid costs so damn much, the dealers want like $36 a quart. I was able to find a POL wholesaler on Ebay who sold me a case of 12 for around $12/qt so with that and the pan assembly it ran me a little under $350

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wait until you have at least 60,000 miles on it, before you even consider it

Also read up about an after market transmission pan for it

The stock pan has the filter permanently attached, to change the filter you have to change the pan $$$
What aftermarket pan do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
i don't know much about the ZF 8 speed transmission
But the Factory type Oil Filter & pan come as ONE piece
you need to buy a new Pan every time that you do a transmission service

After market transmission pans for the ZF 8 speed transmission have a screw on filter

you have to do your own research, but i did find this one

Part #: PPE228053020
PPE ZF 8HP70 Heavy-Duty Aluminum Transmission Pan

Take from this video what you will, it is about the ZF 8 speed transmission
This guy used to make videos about Ram trucks all of the time, unfortunately he has passed away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRqDCyiZ_So

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was more concerned about getting the fluid level exactly right. I might just do it myself and take it to the dealer to ensure the fluid level is correct. Might add a bit on to the overall cost of job, but at least i'll know the fluid level is spot on and wont have to pay the dealer for all the labor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts