DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently dealerships would rather make a killing on one unsuspecting customer then make a decent profit on many. I'm searching for a good battery. Reviews are useless since one poster will say "X" brand is great and the next poster that same "X" brand is garbage. Went to Costco since the Kirkland Signature is supposed to be good but they just sell Interstate now and the employee was completely unhelpful telling me two different sizes "might" fit my Ram. So since my OEM battery has been so good I called the dealership. $265 for the battery. Twice the price for the honor of entering the dealership kingdom and allowing them to take your money. So I'm back into reviews looking for something decent. If all else fails I'll just get a Duralast Gold and hope for the best.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Go to either Costco or Firestone, which ever is lower priced
In Tucson you may even have a Auto Electric Shop or a Battery/Alternator/Starter store

Interstate Batteries make a battery marked MEGATRON 2 & MEGATRON Plus
I think they now call them
Interstate MTP-??

Just make sure in has the correct dimensions & somewhere around 800 CCA

Some people prefer the AGP type batteries, just about all major brands have them

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, it sounds like your dealer is trying to hose people more than normal. I bought my last OEM battery for my Durango and that was around $130.
Check this link for a $127.00 OEM battery; it shows $30 shipping to AZ.
https://www.moparpartz.com/p/Ram_20...tery-Vehicle-Battery/49333647/BB94R750AA.html

You gave me an idea to look up the battery price if I were to order online from my local dealer. Funny, the battery is listed and states "not for sale" next to it. I guess they want you to actually go there to get hosed in person.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Rather than the dealer I went with AAA. It was around $130, installed. Just replaced it couple of months age. Kept the blanket over the new battery.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
researched batteries just a few years back. Like most everything there are only 3 or 4 actual manufacturers and everyone slaps heir brand name on them. NAPA is fine, so too O'Reilly auto parts. Sears and interstate as well.

For the money, and the discount i get through work, we went with OReillys and I have been die hard Sears or Interstate guy for decades.

No worries on either battery for almost 4 years now.

and it gets cold herein Iowa . . .

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
:LOL:
Sears won't even honor the Craftsman Lifetime Warranty
They closed every store but 2 in my county
The rest of the stores would not honor my Craftsman tool that no longer worked

I definitely wouldn't buy a $200 battery from them after that

DieHard (brand) DieHard is a premium brand of automotive battery marketed by Sears Holdings retailers, including Sears and Kmart. The brand is owned by KCD IP, LLC, a special purpose entity created by Sears Holdings for securitization purposes.

Craftsman Tools is now owned by Stanley Black & Decker, they also own Waterloo Toolboxes, the company that has been making Craftsman Tool Boxes

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Had Kirkland batteries in my previous vehicles, back then a lot of people theorized that Interstate was making them for Kirkland. Then for a bit there was a mix of Kirkland and Interstate branded batteries at Costco, now its all Interstate branded.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another battery from Costco, clueless employees or not. Last I checked 42 month full replacement warranty and they were the cheapest battery for my vehicles by far. The only thing I miss about the Kirkland batteries was being able to buy different levels with the max being a 60 month full replacement.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
researched batteries just a few years back. Like most everything there are only 3 or 4 actual manufacturers and everyone slaps heir brand name on them. NAPA is fine, so too O'Reilly auto parts. Sears and interstate as well.

Thanks. I think I'll go with NAPA. Any real value to the AGM type? Like GTYankee mentioned, Sears is going under so there'll be no one to honor warranties. After some research it seem OReilly's doesn't honor their warranties either. Lots of complaints about that. The dud Costo kid told me their warraty on Interstate is only 24 months. Every battery I've had lasted one year (Ford OEM) or two years on other vehicles I've had. Probably due to the extreme heat here. I'm surprised the OEM Ram battery has gone 3 years and still shows 12.6 volts. But I hate that surprise of being out in the sticks and hearing a click when you try to start so I figure I'll be pro-active and replace soon.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I haven't tested my battery but I still have the original that came with my truck. I have heard that Missouri winters can be pretty cold so I think I'm going to go AGM in the Fall, even if I don't need one I am pleased with 5 years and 80,000 miles from the original. The Northstar ones are supposed to be pretty good but are pretty expensive too

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check these batteries out. I have owned them before and very very satisfied.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-...ries&msclkid=2f9ec983b5f41c9cbd6892ca8b95aa67

They may not have one with "exact dimension's" but a slight difference in dimensions won't hurt a thing. These batteries can be mounted upside down and will still last 1 to 2 years longer then normal batteries and they also work great if you have a sound system with high draw amps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't they though! Go online to Batteries Plus. Get 10% off on line plus free shipping to a store, plus free install and a $10 rebate, plus s 48 month return. About 190.00.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,238 Posts
Interstate.
Never had a bad one yet.
The one in our 2000 Tundra is coming up on its 9th Colorado winter and the electrolyte specific gravity still shows all cells equal and fully charged. Their deep cycle batteries are good too.

Never had a bad NAPA battery either, but I have less experience with them

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Optima doesn't make a 94R H7

·
Registered
210 Posts
I went with Batteries Plus when I replaced my 2 batteries this past April. Went with the X2Power AGM which are probably overkill. My only issue was having to wait over a week for the second battery because they only stock one at the store. Whatever... The truck starts every time and the battery warning light hasn’t come on.

·
Registered
771 Posts
There are only a couple battery manufacturers any more and they slap dozens of different brand names on them. Just go to Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone. They'll install the correct battery for you and honor any warranty that comes with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts