DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading multiple posts i decided to take a few inputs from here and there and debadge my dodge. These are the 10 VERY EASY steps that i followed. I hope that this helps you tackle this task on your own!

Tools used:

Heat gun and extension cord
Flat Head Screw driver
Paint stick (shortened and sanded down to use as a scraper)
Old Cotton T-Shirt
Gasoline
Sponge
Hose
Wax and Buffing pad

This only took about 1 hour (per side) from start to finish and that included adapting the paint stick.

Step 1:
Make a home made scraper using a paint stirring stick. What i did was cut it down and then use a hand sander to make one end resemble a plastic scraper. Timeline: 10 mins.

Step 2:
Clean the surface so that you do not unintentionally scratch the surface when rubbing to remove the glue. Timeline: 3 mins.

Step 3:
Using the heat gun heat up the letters/numbers. Be sure to keep the heat moving so that you do not overheat the paint. Remove the letters/numbers by CAREFULLY putting the flat tip screw driver behind and pulling out ward. For good measure I placed my other hand behind the screw driver so that I would hurt my hand before hurting my truck. You will be left with a 1/8th thick glue letter/number. Timeline: 30 seconds per letter.

Step 4:
Using your heat gun and wooden homemade scraper, heat up the glue and gently scrape it off. You will be left with a very thin coat of very sticky glue residue. Timeline 30 seconds per letter.

Step 5:
Take your old T-shirt and dip a corner of it in the gasoline. Dab the gasoline covered t-shirt over the glue residue and let it sit. Use enough gasoline to really wet the glue residue but not so much that it is dripping down the door of the truck. Timeline: 2 mins.

Step 6:
Using a dry portion of the T-shirt rub the sticky glue residue toward the center of the letter or number. You may feel like you are making more of a mess at this point, the idea is to get up the bulk of the glue. Timeline: Varies with size of letter but up to 3 mins per letter.

Step 7:
Keeping your t-shirt nice and wet with gas use a circular rubbing motion to remove the remaining glue residue. This is where you should really start to see the finish line! Timeline: Varies with size of letter but up to 3 mins per letter.

Step 8:
After you removed all of the glue residue, be sure to very throughly wash the entire area. You want to make sure that you do a good job and get all of the gasoline off. Timeline: 5 mins.

Step 9:
Wax the entire area. Timeline: 10 mins.

Step 10:
Step back and enjoy!!!! :smileup:

·
Registered
738 Posts
could have saved a few steps by just using a rubber eraser wheel to remove the adhesive, easy and safe on the finish.

·
Registered
150 Posts
thanks for the writeup! still have to make up my mind if I am going to do this. HEMI badge still there? probably going to leave it too. :smileup:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matt,
DO IT! The results are well worth the 2 hours of work. Personally I like the Hemi badge, so i left it.

LC Hauler,
I have the rubber eraser and started to use it, pain in the a$$ in my opinion. I used it when i debadged my last Dodge and was not impressed with it. In the end you get the same results however it is a waste of money and time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, good luck. Be sure to take your time and don't rush. I am happy that someone will get use from this thread and save some cash. My big reason for the post was that a guy i work with was going to take his truck to the stealership and they would have charged him an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Nice write up :rep:
Myself I prefer the eraser wheel but I have a thing for power tools and will find any excuse to use them :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
I used dental floss and 3m adhesive remover plus a rubber scrape i had, worked magic, about an hour each side and back for 4x4 logo

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have info to put out. Remove the badges by using fishing line to saw them off, no heat gun, screw driver etc. Then carefully with a fingernail roll up a corner of the adhesive tape, enough to grab with your fingers. Then gently pull away at about a 45 degree angle. For example if I removed the hemi badge on the driver side I would then roll up the bottom corner toward the rear of the truck and then pull away and toward the rear at a 45 degree angle. The foam tape comes right off leaving a slight haze of residue.
It took me about 30 min to debadge the truck using this method. I used 3M adhesive remover to remove the remainig residue and then washed and waxed the truck

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used fishing line, 3M adhesive remover, and WD-40. Getting the adhesive residue off was a pain in the @$$!!! It also left a little "ghosting" effect afterwards. I'm hoping that a buff, wax, and clay bar will take care of that. All I have taken off so far are the hemi badges...I wanted to "test" on a small area first. Hope to finish the job within the next week.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have info to put out. Remove the badges by using fishing line to saw them off, no heat gun, screw driver etc. Then carefully with a fingernail roll up a corner of the adhesive tape, enough to grab with your fingers. Then gently pull away at about a 45 degree angle. For example if I removed the hemi badge on the driver side I would then roll up the bottom corner toward the rear of the truck and then pull away and toward the rear at a 45 degree angle. The foam tape comes right off leaving a slight haze of residue.
It took me about 30 min to debadge the truck using this method. I used 3M adhesive remover to remove the remainig residue and then washed and waxed the truck
I just did this today, prob 45 mins total to get both sides and the 4X4 off the back

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't use gasoline, that equals fire. And don't use WD-40, once that oil is on there it's hard to get it off. Use 3M adhesive remover and fishing line (10lbs). ravel the fishing line into a saw and you're set

1 - 13 of 13 Posts